choosing a cheap acoustic/electric

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 jeke
(@jeke)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner, new to the forum; I've been playing about a month on an awful old nylon-stringed guitar (and I do mean *awful*). I'm looking to buy a real guitar; something that I can learn on that's easy to play and sounds relatively good. I'm probably going to be playing mostly folk and rock stuff, stuff like Beatles, Dylan, Pink Floyd, Simon & Garfunkel, so I've decided I want an acoustic-electric; I really like the resonance and warmth of an acoustic instrument (having played violin for 14 years) but I also want to be able to plug in to record myself, play with effects, etc. Unfortunately I'm a poor 17-year-old about to go off to college, so my budget is really limited. I can probably spend about $300 on a guitar and accessories (strings, case, capo, strap, etc., not including an amp for now). There seem to be a bunch of pretty well-rated guitars around the $200 price point:

Takamine Jasmine http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAKJASES31CBK

Applause AE128 http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNEPEA

Dean Performer EA http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNEPEA

Ibanez V70CE http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-V70CE-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519468

I'm gonna go around to some local music shops over the next few days and see what they have, cause I hate to buy an instrument online that I've never seen or played, but I'm sure the prices will probably be higher locally, especially with our 10% sales tax, so I'll probably end up buying online. So does anyone know anything about any of these guitars, or have any recommendations for a good guitar in my price range?

David

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi David, and welcome to GN! 8)

I'd say follow your plan about going around to some local stores and trying out a bunch of guitars, ask questions, etc. If you find one you really like, see if they will make a deal with you, otherwise order it online. Play before you buy. :wink: I'm not too familiar with all the guitars you listed, but they all seem to bee good quality.

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Just thought I'd throw in a Yamaha. I bought a F403s off of Ebay after reading some good reviews on them. When I took it in to a local shop to get it set-up, the tech was very impressed with its tone (solid spruce top). I picked it up for $170 total including case, capo, tuner, strings, etc... The F403s is discontinued and is only an acoustic but I've heard good things about Yamaha's and it's been a great learner's guitar for me.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

My wife gave birth to our first child at 5.20am on Thursday 29/06/06 and we've named her Jasmine - guess which one of the above guitars I like best? :lol:

Takamine and Yamaha have good reputations so you will probably be okay with either. As has been said though, do try and play the actual guitar you are going to buy though, if you can. It may be that the one that you think looks odd and you've only seen terrible reviews of might sound the best to you and will be the one you buy. Its a funny old world.

I read loads of reviews and went to the shop desperate to try a Yamaha something 15 (DW?) and a Simon and Patrick SP6 and I didn't like either. That left me stuck, until I realised I could then take my time and have a twang on all of them until I'd settled on something I couldn't afford and left with nothing. I eventually got what I wanted though.

Enjoy the hunting and I'm sure you'll find something soon.

Rich.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

My wife gave birth to our first child at 5.20am on Thursday 29/06/06 and we've named her Jasmine - guess which one of the above guitars I like best? :lol:

Congrats on the baby girl!! It's a whole new world now!

I have to agree with the "try before you buy". Everyone has different tastes and experiences and while you can take an overall average of reviews and have a general idea, it just is not accurate to your fit and needs.

I read rave reviews on the Epiphone Masterbilts and man did I want one...until I played it. Don't get me wrong it sounded nice and all but something about the way it felt was just not for me...

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

If it was me I'd put all my money in a better guitar without the electronics. You can always mic the guitar with an inexpensive mic to record. You could probably step up a notch in quality in that price range if you got one without electronics.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i bought this dean package deal for a friend a couple of years ago and was very impressed with the guitar. the amp was also very good for an acoustic practice amp and was actually very loud and clear.
the guitar has held up very well and with a set up and a better set of strings it played/sounded great, especially considering the price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Tradition-AcousticElectric-Guitar-and-Amp-Pack?sku=519970

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Since you are on a budget, don't forget to check out the used market.

-the same music stores you are already planning to visit might have some used instruments
-pawn shops
-classified ads / local "buy-n-sell" type web sites, etc
-auctions
-if you can wait, check out the for sale adds at your school, especially near the end of term, when the beer money starts runnin' low for some of your fellow students.

Where is "local" for you? Maybe someone here knows of a good resource near your area.

Of course, you'll want to try out any used instrument before you buy it, but after 14 years of violin, you probably have "the ear" to manage that.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 jeke
(@jeke)
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone for all the replies!

I went around to a few shops today (I live in Knoxville, TN, for the curious). One had nothing in my price range, one had a couple Venturas that I kinda liked but were both $240; not out of the question but they didn't really grab me. Guitar Center had several ~$200 guitars: a Yamaha FX335, a Mitchell MD100AE, Epiphone AJ200E, a used Fender DG20CE (with fraying strings, you'd think they'd replace them before they put it out on sale) and a couple others I don't recall, but I didn't really like any of them. I'm kinda disappointed, I was hoping there'd just be one guitar that would reach out and make me say "I want this", but no such luck. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't expect perfection out of a $200 guitar.

ReplyQuote