Skip to content
Choosing a starter ...

Notifications
Clear all

Choosing a starter amp and guitar. The choice.

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok to start im not really a person who likes to start small and I know that im going to be playing a guitar alot so I dont care if it cost alot but honestly im not ritch so I have to buy a cheaper guitar. But first I would like to ask some questions.

1. Can anyone honestly confirm if an epiphone lp100 is a good buy at 230US and if it is a good guitar in any way? Im more worried about the wood and parts that cant be easily upgraded since i fully expect to change t he pickups and selector switch.

2. Can anyone tell me anything about amps or a site about good $150ish practice amps.. so far ive seen a brand X25 solid state and a line 6 spider 15 wich is a digital amp. Is this digital amp as good as it sounds.. they have a video of artist using there amp.. but it could jst be the artist sounding good and not the amp?

3. I can aorder just about anything in from gibson/epiphone/ibanez etc.. would you recomend a guitar and amp to order for about under 400-500?
I really like the sound of the lp100 with spider 6 but since i dont know shit about guitars and it was a pro playing it...

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

not familiar with the guitar you are talking about but if you want a good amp look into one of these http://www.kustom.com/products/guitar_amps/solo16r.asp . I use this for practice and recording and I swear you can't beat the tone with a stick. Plenty of power, celestion speaker kicks and it has some nice features like being able to plug a cd player into it to play along with and a headphone jack so your significant other doesn't want to kill you when you are playing while she is watching American Idol. it runs at right around $100 us. In all seriousness I would trade my peavey 212 before I traded this amp.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I used a Crate GLX 30 a lot. Good efx and tone plus the CD connections -- a very good feature as teleplayer said.

Check Harmony Central User Review for some information on gear you're thinking about.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well ive been to the review thing. The reiview all seem to say its good for the price wich isnt the point... what id really like to know is if 2 of these amps at around the same price is the same... becuase they al seem to say "good for the price"

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

A little over your amp price, but Ill have to reccomend the Vox Valvetronix AD15VT. It' a digital amp like the Line 6, but it has a tube in it(hint: tubes are good), and it sounds awesome! It's 180 bucks: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=81/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481958/ and here are some sounds demo's: http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vt_audition.htm

Also, if thats too expensive and/or too complicated I'd also recommend the Vox Pathfinder 15R: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=81/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481948/ It's really cool. No, I'm not a Vox spokesperson, I just think Vox makes a kickass practice amp! :) As for guitars, well, what kind of music do you play? That makes a big difference on whether you want a jazzbox(a guitar designed for jazz, duh), or a warlock(a guitar designed for metal)! Also, you should go to your local music store and try some guitars in your price range out, but don't buy anything! Go home, research what you liked, then check the prices on the internet. If the price is the same, or close, then go for it!

Happy buying! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The lp100 is a great les paul mockup. Made of pure mohoghany.. the only thing is crappy pickups and a shoddy selector switch wich I plan to replace with 57 gibson pickups.

Yah my price range for an amp keeps going down somewhat. Ill look at all these. Also I know Tubes are good especialy for a digital amp becuase it doesnt make sense to allow the amp to break up into distortion and reck all the work the amp did. Ill take a look at all suggestions then check prices at long and mcquade. Keep the suggestions coming!

EDIT: I plan on playing kinda soft rock or heavy rock.. maybe on clean or small distortion... Ive heard warlocks suck.. hmm... Ive already decided on this guitar.. I could link to a song thats kinda my style but probobly not yours.. Its popular in japan.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

okay... cool, LP it is.. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunatly I doubt the vox is in my price range. Im probobly going to have to settle for a small fender amp or a brand X25

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

dont forget local pawn shops. you can get good deals buying used, just make sure to plug it in and try it, ask a guitar playing friend to go with you.

also just to note guitars in pawn shops are rarely in tune so keep that in mind if you try to play a chord or something.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote