Notifications
Clear all

right hand trouble. please help me

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@satanica)
Topic starter  

Hello. I've been playing for about 3 and a half years. Unfortunately I neglected to learn to strum chords properly and got straight into playing metal riffs and solos. I ended up developing a very bad technique where my wrist was very stiff and my shoulder would often end up hurting. Does anyone have any advice on how I can loosen up my wrist? My pick always ends up on its side when I try to play from my wrist. Also, does anyone have any advice on metal rhythm playing? I found that with the technique I was using I could get 16th type riffs around 180 but couldn't play comfortable between 120 -140 bpm. I would also screw up around 1 in every 20 gallops or so. I also couldn't/can't alnernate pick muted power chords. If anyone can help me it will be immensely appreciated.

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/ForumMain.htm

Scroll to the bottom and read up.

I would highly highly recommend Jamey's book "The Principle of correct practice for guitar."

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Whenever I try to play metal(which I highly doubt I'm very good at) I just do downstrokes for rythym. For the stiffness part, just relax, maybe sit down, and put you thumb behind your neck... I mean the neck.. :wink:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you want to loosen that strumming wrist up - and this may sound weird - but try playing along to some Funk music. You may not ever use it in your genre, but it's good practice.

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

I found that learning some dave matthews songs improved my strumming. His free flowing loose strumming patterns really let you get that good relaxed feeling in your right hand.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I will second Jamie's book. Going through the agaony now of relearing some things on the guitar. My neck pain and sore arm are gone, now I just need to work on sitting straight and that pain should go away.

John M

ReplyQuote