Clear all

chord fingering

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tyler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering for some suggestions on a specific fingering, basically any barre chord that is like an A, but further down the neck, so for example a C, I try to finger it like this, but it's pretty sloppy to change to/from:
(ignore the periods, I'm just using them to make stuff line up)
------------------
x 1 1 1 1 1 .......... 3rd fret
------------------

------------------
..... 2 3 4
------------------

it's a really tough stretch, but my fingers don't seem fat enough to cover the three strings with only two fingers.

I've also tried to do it like this:

-------------------
x 1 1 1 1 1 .......... 3rd fret
------------------

------------------
..... 3 4 2
------------------

so that my fingers can kind of keep the same familar shape of lots of other barre chords, but this seems pretty hopeless.

Any help?
Thanks,
Tyler

(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

Hmm I don't understand what you mean, your diagrams seem a bit odd...

You say you are trying to cover 3 strings with 2 fingers? You say like an 'A' ? Do you mean exactly like a 'B'? Are the numbers supposed to represent the finger? In which case I'd say your first diagram is correct but that doesn't show 3 strings with 2 fingers.

______
oooooo
||||||
||ooo|

Or with finger #'s
______
||||||
||234|

That's how I do it. It is pretty difficult, but you'll get it with time. Some people may disagree but I concentrate on the final 4 strings and make sure most of the force on the barre finger is on the thin strings.

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member

I do it like this (using your diagram method)

-------------
X 1 1 1 1 1 (3rd Fret)
-------------

-------------
X X 3 3 3 X
-------------

beware the Power of the Stratocaster, for once you start down the Fender Path, forever will it dominate your destiny

ReplyQuote
(@tyler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry about the confusion. The chord I was using as an example was a C chord - x35553 (where these numbers represent the fret played). The way I wrote it in the diagrams was where the numbers represent the finger in that position.

ReplyQuote