5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

A number of years ago I learned a little about the keyboard and covered chord inversions so really just asking are there chord inversions for acoustic guitar?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Yes. All instruments that can play chords, can play inversions of chords.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes. All instruments that can play chords, can play inversions of chords.

OK,

It's not applicable just yet but it will be soon. Is there a book for this? - The only analogy I can draw on is the keyboard where you have a G chord which is root note first, G-B-D. Next is the first inversion, B-D-G and finally there is the D-G-B, which is the second inversion. The only reason I ask is because as far as songwriting is concerned inversions are very important (well I think they are) so if there is a book / chord sheet that I could get it will help me out in the months ahead. Obviously as a newbie I'm just concentrating on the chords in the major scales to start off with.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Inversions for all of the really important chords (including things like dominant 7ths chords and the like) are covered very well in one of my favorite books: The Complete Johnny Smith Approach to Guitar

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Actually, it's only the bass note that determines the inversion of a chord. What you're describing is 'closed position inversions' where the notes have to be as close as possible.

Apart from that special case, the first inversion of G major, for example, can be B D G or B G D, with as many doubled notes, spread over as many octaves as the instrument allows.

A common G major first inversion is B G B D G B, played over six strings on frets 7 10 9 7 8 7

Any book that shows chords can also be used to work out the inversions easily, as it's only the bass note that matters.

ReplyQuote