8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

I thought I'd start a new thread to avoid any confusion. Earlier on today I replaced my strings for the first time and I would like a medal... :D ...The main point to this thread is to ask whether or not it would make any difference whilst stringing the guitar which direction you turn the six tuning knobs for each of the strings in order to tighten them. There are two options.

Option 1

You turn the knobs away from you whilst you tighten the strings.

Option 2

You turn the knobs towards you whilst you tighten the strings.

Does it make any difference which way you do this?

Thanks in advance.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i believe you should wrap the strings towards the side of the head they are on. i believe that in most all instances i've seen that this lines them up with the nut.
that is to say that the left three pegs (strings 6,5,4) would turn counter clockwise to tighten, and the right three (strings 3,2,1) would turn clockwise to tighten.
this would mean that turning the knobs on the 6,5,4 away from you would tighten them , while turning the 3,2,1 away from you would loosen them.
does that make sense?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

twistedlefty is not monkeying around.
it does matter how you wind. the picture shows the proper string position. the tuner peg where the string is wound should rotate clockwis for the high E B G and counterclockwise for the lower D A E.
the tuning knob follows. it should not turn so it is convient for you, but for the string/nut relationship.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

it does matter how you wind. the picture shows the proper string position. the tuner peg where the string is wound should rotate clockwis for the high E B G and counterclockwise for the lower D A E.
the tuning knob follows. it should not turn so it is convient for you, but for the string/nut relationship.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've done this. For the hi strings e b g rotate away from the guitar (clockwise) and for the lo strings e a d rotate the tuner towards the guitar (anti-clockwise). Just wanted to make sure for certain... :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've done this. For the hi strings e b g rotate away from the guitar (clockwise) and for the lo strings e a d rotate the tuner towards the guitar (anti-clockwise). Just wanted to make sure for certain... :)
just to be sure.
the tuning post where the string is wrapped is making the clockwise or counterclockwise turns...not the tuning knob where your fingers are.
double check.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

just to be sure.
the tuning post where the string is wrapped is making the clockwise or counterclockwise turns...not the tuning knob where your fingers are.
double check.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from, if you turn the tuning peg away from you on hi E, B and G the string in the hole rotates clockwise, and if you turn the tuning peg towards you for the lo E, A and D they rotate anti-clockwise.

This is correct isn't it? - I think it is, just making sure.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

just to be sure.
double check.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from, if you turn the tuning peg away from you on hi E, B and G the string in the hole rotates clockwise, and if you turn the tuning peg towards you for the lo E, A and D they rotate anti-clockwise.

This is correct isn't it? - I think it is, just making sure.

actually. it is the reverse. high E I turn the knob towards me and the tuner post turns clockwise.
low E I turn the knob away from me the tuner post turns anticlockwise.

look at the picture the strings feed to the post . if you have your strings this way then the tuning knobs should turn as I just said.

easier showing than writing.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Hi folks,

I thought I'd start a new thread to avoid any confusion. Earlier on today I replaced my strings for the first time and I would like a medal... :D ...The main point to this thread is to ask whether or not it would make any difference whilst stringing the guitar which direction you turn the six tuning knobs for each of the strings in order to tighten them. There are two options.

Option 1

You turn the knobs away from you whilst you tighten the strings.

Option 2

You turn the knobs towards you whilst you tighten the strings.

Does it make any difference which way you do this?

Thanks in advance.

Twistedleftys picture shows the correct way the strings should look. You'll find that when you tune your guitar it is easier if all the strings tighten in the same direction (clockwise).
Eric

ReplyQuote