Clear all

Chord Progression..

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Spent a bit more time with the guitar this weekend..

Forgetting strumming, just going through the motions of getting fingers into position for chords.

Im doing the Premlinary Grade RGT course, and the progression is Gmaj, Em, Am and Dmaj.

Getting from G to A is fine, but A to Dmaj is awkward - I get the first and second fingers into place quite quickly, but the third finger takes some time.

Should i try to get the third finger in place first?

I know i'll win, just need more practice :)

One good thing though, is that I can switch Gmaj to Em quite quick using 1 2 3 fingers rather than 2 3 4, getting 2 and 3 to Em.. gotta be reasonable right? lol

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Mike,

I really don't think it matters which finger you put down first. Sooner or later you'll put them all down at the same time anyways. Just do whichever way is fastest for you - it won't hinder you in the long run.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Have you tried playing the D chord with two fingers instead of three? First finger makes a mini-barre across the G B and E strings at the second fret, second finger on the B string at the third fret. It doesn't have to be those two fingers, whichever you're most comfortable with....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Have you tried playing the D chord with two fingers instead of three? First finger makes a mini-barre across the G B and E strings at the second fret, second finger on the B string at the third fret. It doesn't have to be those two fingers, whichever you're most comfortable with....

Vic

Yes i have - I mute E doing it like that LOL

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I am guessing that this is particular to the UK, but for those of us on this side of the pond, what exactly is the RGT course? I have heard bits and pieces in the past, about the UK having some sort of "standardized" music instruction, with different levels - it that what this is?

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Vic
Another way to play the D chord is to play with the thumb over the neck at the second fret, fretting the E string, F#. Gives the D chord a really nice, full sound.

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Vic
Another way to play the D chord is to play with the thumb over the neck at the second fret, fretting the E string, F#. Gives the D chord a really nice, full sound.

Not for us smaller handed people LOL

I am guessing that this is particular to the UK, but for those of us on this side of the pond, what exactly is the RGT course? I have heard bits and pieces in the past, about the UK having some sort of "standardized" music instruction, with different levels - it that what this is?

Its the Registry of Guitar Tutors course - and yes, its pretty standardised. My teacher follows the course for his students, so I decided I might as well try and get the gradings to go with it.

http://www.registryofguitartutors.com/

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Yes - there are recognised examining bodies in the UK that provide graded exams in a range of instruments (and theory) and, more recently, in a range of styles too including jazz and rock. The levels range from grade 1 (beginner level) to grade 8 (advanced/ final). The most popular throughout the UK (and Commonwealth) is the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music). Others include, The London College of Music and Trinity College of music, (In a previous job, I used to teach students to pass the Trinity exams).

Grade 8 is about the level required to gain entry to a recognised college of music, such as The Royal Academy of Music to begin full time music study.

The RGT (Registry of Guitar Teachers) is a commercial teaching body that offers a range of services to guitar teachers and students, one of which is for teachers to provide tuition to pass the London College of Music guitar exams.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Very cool. Too bad we don't have standardized music instruction here in the States.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

The first two changes are easier because they both have anchor fingers that can stay in place while you move the others around them. Plus, our ring fingers always needs a lot more work than the index and middle before they move accurately and independently. The pinky even more so. So there's really no way around that other than putting the time in until it works. You'll need it to improve, so now is as good a time as any to work on it. It's kind of annoying at the time, and it seems to take far too long, but you'll get there. 8)

I used to work on the principle that I'd try and land the fingers in the order that I reach them as I strummed. So while I was still slow, if I only had the index down for the D chord, then I'd only strum that far down. By the second strum the rest were in place. :wink: I'd also check and see which notes were essential for the basic chord, because sometimes you can get all the notes you need by strumming only 3 strings (and adding the rest on the 2nd strum).

But whilst you can get away with sneaky tricks like that when you're playing, I don't think you'd get it past an examiner. :) And I think it's really better to land them all pretty much at the same time - once you can do it then it seems kind of odd that you once couldn't... :?

Hang in there - you're getting close.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

I fret the Amaj with just my index finger. With a little practice you can do it without muting the sixth string. Then when I play a Dmaj, I just slide my index finger down one string and fret the B string with middle finger, like Vic said.

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Cheers Chris - Im practicing getting my fingers in place from rest and from Am.

Vic - I managed to Barre the Dmaj at around 2am this morning :)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Vic
I think that actually becomes a different chord, D/F#

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think that actually becomes a different chord, D/F#

Strictly speaking, yes - it's an inversion of the D chord, with F# as the bass note instead of a root D note. But I look at it this way - since F# is a necessary note in the D chord anyway, you might as well play the F# on the bottom E string if you can - then you can use all six strings instead of four.

E A D G B E
2 0 0 2 3 2
F# A D A D F#
t i m i

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Got ya Vic - I've only used it while playing Wonderful Tonight, gonna see about working it in other places. Sorta changes the feel of the chord a bit.

ReplyQuote