Clear all

chords

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarpunk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm just a beginner so maybe some of you more experienced musicians can give me a hand. Whenever i go to check out some tablature for a song i wanna learn alls the people post is the chord letter like E or G or whatever it might be, Well i only know the fret numbers, so does anyone have an effective way of learning the chords. cause id like to be able to read music properly.

Thanx Everyone

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might start out with David's Chords part one. That should get you started.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well it takes more, obviously, than knowing the frets.
It helps to know what notes are being played on those frets.
Check out the beginner lessons here.
Get yourself a good beginner book like Mel bay or Alfred's.
As for chords, when in doubt I use Chordfind.com
There are many more out there if you do a search.
You should really learn the basic chords and a few scales before trying to tackle a song, but if you really can't wait. Try some of the songs in the Easy Song Database on this forum.
The absolutely best course of action is to find a teacher and take some lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Missileman

Learning from tab is no good. Yeah, you will be able to play a song, but you really won't have a clue what you are doing and why it sounds good.

So, you have to learn a little bit about music. I mean the old fashioned stuff with notes on a staff. You need to learn every note on your guitar (not all at once, but over time). You need to learn time.

You need to understand what a chord is. You need to understand what a key is. You will never learn this from tabs.

You do not have to hire a music teacher to learn guitar. I am completely self taught. BUT, you will learn much quicker with lessons. And you will understand music much quicker with lessons.

If you can't afford lessons, then go to a music store and get some basic beginner books on guitar. These will tell you the notes on your fretboard, what notes make up a particular type chord, and what a key is and what chords belong to a certain key. They will explain time so you will be able to count music. They will show you the traditional fingerings for guitar chords.

These books will have corny songs you hate in them. But play them anyway, because through them you will get a basic understanding of music. You have to understand it. It is not hard. It is really pretty easy. That is the shortcoming of tab. It doesn't teach you MUSIC.

Study the beginner lessons here at GuitarNoise. Learn Theory. It won't take you long. It will start to click and then it will become pretty easy.

Stay at it. That is the biggest secret of all.

Rock On Missileman! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey Wes,
I think you directed your post to the wrong person.
Most of what I play is in notation.
I seldom play from TABs
Not all the songs in instruction books are boring.
I am working on Alfred's Basic Guiatr Method and have played "The Entertainer" which was pretty cool and am currently working on "Guitar Boogie" by Arthur Smith among other fun and quite challenging songs.

ReplyQuote