Clear all

chords to learn

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

since i started playing seriously, i've been learning basic minor, major, 7, m7 & maj7 chords including barres. i've been teaching myself and looking up chords on internet chord finder pages, but honestly, i have no idea where to go from here as there are so many different chord types, not to mention several different variations up the neck for each one. i was just wondering how everyone else went about learning chords?? :?:

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure how much theory you've looked into at this point but that's what I'd be advising.

Once you've learnt the most common chords, I think it's best to learn more about chord construction. You can then begin working out for yourself the various inversions of the chords you know and begin to 'make up' your own chords.

The other reason this is a good way to go is because many chords can be named multiple ways. So if you rote-learn chords by name you may be stumped if you see some inversion of that chord.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

I think you should put the chords you have learned to use ...
Instead of learning more chords, pick out 5 songs you like and learn to play them from start to finish.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Alot of good advice already, but I'd also recommend you do two things:

-Learn keys and so on and which chords go together (I-VII). This'll take the guess work out of making a chord progression.

-Go look up some of your songs and watch how the artist flagrantly abuses these rules. That'll give you some changes you like that you can just steal and use in your own stuff.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Actually this brings up one of my questions.

There are so many chords that aren't in a standard key diagram (And haven't been used I've looked at the tabs for) so when do I know when to use these other chords?

And what's the theory bhehind the thing that people talk about when they make the V chord a 7 or a dim or something?

I'm going to have a look around google.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Actually this brings up one of my questions.

There are so many chords that aren't in a standard key diagram (And haven't been used I've looked at the tabs for) so when do I know when to use these other chords?

And what's the theory bhehind the thing that people talk about when they make the V chord a 7 or a dim or something?

I'm going to have a look around google.

It's pretty much all explained on this site, search here for 7ths or diminished chords and look in the theory forum.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Yeah.

Came across this.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/absolute-beginner-part-1/

ReplyQuote