Clear all

Complete NOOB

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@christian713)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
Let's just say, I'm so new...I don't even have a guitar yet. I'm really interested on learning how to play the guitar. I'm 16 and live in Miami. I read and skate....nothing to interesting. Anyway, I'm not sure as to what type of guitar I should buy first. I'm pretty sure I was an acoustic, but I'm not sure what brand. What is the difference between guitar a and guitar b. Anyway, my price range is within 200 dollars. Please let me know what you guys recomend. Thank you.

bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

Welcome!
I started when I was 16 also, I started off with a Yamaha f310. IMO its a very solid acoustic guitar for anyone starting off. It should be with your price range too. I got mine for 300 Canadian so thta about like $1.25 American j/k...
It should be around $200 American.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

Find a local guitar shop. That is, a shop that sells only, or mainly guitars (as opposed to a general musical instrument shop). Even if you have to travel a distance to find one, they are worth the visit. Tell the assistant what you said above, and let him/her suggest a few models for you. They will ask you to try a couple out, which will make you feel embarrassed because you can't play yet. Ask the assistant to play a few licks and riffs for you. You should still try it on for size, to see if it feels comfortable around your neck.

At that price, the choice probably goes down to a Squier Strat (or equivalent - Yamaha make a good entry-level strat), or a Les Paul style (Epiphone, etc) guitar. They are both electric and you will be probably be able to get a good deal on a guitar and amp if bought together.

If you want an acoustic, then you could pick up a good starter model well within your budget (though you would want to spend up to your budget to get the best guitar you can).

Forgive the stereotype, but are you into punk? I ask that because you skate, and most skaters (in England anyway) are into that side of guitar. If so, an electric is your best bet. If you want to branch out and learn how to play in a more general way, then an acoustic is probably the best place to start. You will not be able to thrash out power chords on it, but if you learn the basics on an acoustic, electric guitars become a lot easier to play (the fretting is a lot easier).

As a (very general rule) with electrics, if you want to play lead, get a Strat-style. If you want to play rhythm, get a Les Paul style. There's a lot more to it than that (before someone shoots me!), but that could take another ten pages to describe.

Don't write off second hand guitars - you open up possibilities of excellent bargains. If you buy a second hand guitar from a shop, ask them what checks they did to it before putting it up for sale. They should at least have checked the neck, the action, and changed the strings.

To be honest, the best thing you can do is find somebody you know who plays guitar (to any standard) and ask them to go with you to the shop, to lend their expertise. Most guitarists are a very friendly bunch (and this site is no exception), and most will be flattered by your request and only too happy to help. If you know them well enough, ask them to teach you a couple of chords on their guitar before you go, so you can at least make a noise with it.

And finally, be prepared to be cr*p at it for quite a while - everyone is when they start out!

:D

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Welcome aboard.

There's no way anyone can tell you what guitar to get. As Longdave so rightly pointed out your best bet would be to go to a guitar shop (given that you don't play take a freind who does) and listen to a few guitars. Get the best one you can in your price range. Remember, it's your money, don't get pressured into buying something you don't want. I would recommend that you spend up to you budget though. A peice of junk will only tick you off and may turn you from the guitar.

If you feel you want an acoustic, go for the acoustic. It will be more difficult to play at first (heavier strings, harder action, etc.) but what you learn will be easily transferrable to an electric. Many folks say it is harder to go from an electric to an acoustic. So an acoustice IMHO is your best bet right now if you are leaning that way. (And it's a lot easier to take to parties, or to the beach, or the corner park).

If you want me to name names in terms of a brand to try out I would suggest Seagull, Art and Lutherie, Washburn, Alvarez (I like mine a lot) or Takamine. Although I don't own one Seagull's tend to get universally positive reviews. Please go and at least listen to a guitar before you buy ,even if you plan to order online, never buy from an infomercial . (there's a good thread here on that)

Also, again as Longdave said don't rule out a second hand guitar, you can get some good deals out there.

Take Care.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I would recommend going for something by a known brand if you can find one within the budget. Any one of the names you've been given will give you a good guitar, and not only do Washburn do superb accoustics, but they also do very reasonably priced electric guitars too. Don't forget to include the cost of a small amp in the numbers if you want to go electric.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pyaara_wala)
Eminent Member

I started when I was 14, (and I still am 14 :). As someone in this earlier forum said, find a local guitar shop. I started off withh an $150 ibanez acoustic. It sure works beautiful and also it's my favorite guitar brand ever. The guitar was $150, and it came with a free vinal ibanez gigbag, ibanez tuner, ibanez picks, and ibanez strap. Boy I was happy with all the ibanez. HOORAY FOR IBANEZ!

ReplyQuote
(@christian713)
Topic starter  

Related to the question about if I'm punk. I like the music, and prefer rock over rap, but I dress mostly preppy and clean cut. Skating is something I do because it relieves my stress...and reading..well because I like reading :) . Anyway, I really apreciate everyones help. Now I just have to come up with the money :P . I'm hoping I'll get a job soon at Burger king. Thanks for everything, and please continue the recomendations

ReplyQuote