Notifications
Clear all

Unwanted sounds

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@discord)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I'm new to the guitar and have been trying to pick it up on my own. This site is most informative and comprehensive one I've encountered yet, my compliments. However, I've been sifting through these articles for awhile now and still haven't found one that addresses my problem. I'm not proficient in all this musical jargon yet so please bear with me. Here goes. When playing chords or even just single strings the strings my finges are pressing often sound when I take them off the fretboard. Its like I'm unintentionally doing a pull-off. How does one take their finger completely off a string and keep it silent?
thanks

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

You can mute it with the right hand if you want or you can pull your finger off just a bit till it mutes and then take your fingers off. You still might cause noise but youll learn not to eventually. Practice.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Izzabella is right, practice. Make sure you try and lift your finger straight off the string, as opposed to pulling it sideways, or at an angle, this could cause the string to sound when you don't want.

When I started out I had a simillar difficulty before I got callouses on the fingertips. The strings would seem to sink into my finger and, more or less, stick there, making it very difficult to remove them without sounding the string.

BTW welcome aboard the boards. Good folks around here, a very respectful and knowlegable place. Never hesitate to ask a question, if you have a question it's likely hundreds of others do as well.

Take Care.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote