Clear all

Cool Experience

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I have owned and played a little Seagull S6 Folk for a little over 18 months now. I have never been able to focus on learning songs very well. I have studied with a gentleman for about three months and learned some theory basics and a bascic understanding of Barre Chords. I can play different riffs and could probably work through some easy songs if I tried but I just tend to pick up the guitar and play a little here and there without a lot of focus.

I was introduced to the idea of playing by a friend that is an accomplished musician and I have really not been able to participate much when we are together just due to the fact that the folks that are around are way ahead of myself and once they get to going it gets very busy. (these people all have degrees in music and two of them tune pianos for a living so there lives are music and not just one instrument)

Point of the story, I stopped by the house last night and we got to chattin and of course I picked up the guitar and started bangin out a simple G C D G prgression, well Mike started to encourage me to only hit a root note and then pluck the rest, once I had the rotation he encouraged speed, well next thing ya know he straps on the banjo and here we go, about ten mintues later the pace is WAY higher than I ever imagined I could keep rhythm with much, less play cleanly. Lo and behold a friend comes in and we keep the pace and he looks around the corner and yells, Dang Mikey what did you do to Grego?:) He proceeded to walk into the other room and sit down at the piano and the jam was on, it only lasted a few more minutes but boy was it a good time. I cant say I have ever been comfortable playing with people but last night for some reason in some odd way we all connected and I managed to keep the pace.

Anyhow, just thought I would share what is probably a minor step for many but it was a collossal momnet for myself and it still feels good today.

p.s. I have lurked here the entire time I have owned a guitar, I guess its time to participate. A great BIG thanks to those that keep the place running

(@boudreau)
Eminent Member

Great to hear! Keep it up, your not alone. I've had my guitar for two years now, lessons for 4 months and things are getting better. My lessons will go just like you described where I'm taught a progression and work through it for a bit then before I know it my teacher is filling in and we are jamming. It really is a lift to be able to do that if only once every other week (for me). Keep it up!

Denis

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Very encouraging, keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks, its just a little intimidating I guess when people can just sit down and jump right into a progression and never bat an eye, they will yell at one another at times in jest and I will have NO clue whats actually going on. Not too mention betweent he three of them just about any song you can imagine if somebody can pick out a melody or event he basic rhythm they will be off and running with the tune. They do not really enjoy playing the simple stuff or bluesy stuff which is kind of what I like/want to learn.

They continually encourage me to pick up the bass but I havent gone that route simply because I dont see playing the Bass solo as something I would enjoy which is 99 percent of when/how I play.

ReplyQuote
 R3d
(@r3d)
Trusted Member

That sounds awesome! I have the same anxiety bout playing with other musicians. I love those impromptu jam sessions, though.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Grego

Nice story. Its a great breakthrough, something like that. Makes you feel like a musician instead of a stay at home strummer!

Well done. And good luck!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

So I have owned and played a little Seagull S6 Folk for a little over 18 months now.

My situation exactly - same guitar, same time frame.

Anyway, congrats on the jam session. I think it's the single best way to propel yourself forward. I've got a few people around who are much better than me and they are always pushing me to join them in playing. I hesitate, but once we get going I'm shocked at how well it goes (and how fun it is). Never pass up a chance to play with others.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote