Clear all

Dialing into Hendrix Tone?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Squire Strat, and a Line 6 Spider 3 30 watt. Im really a beginner at dialing in sound on an amp. The fact is that untill I got this amp last week, I was playing through my radio. A few songs Ive kind of figured out, Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing, Red House, ect. Baisically songs on a clean setting. But I cant quite get distorted songs, Purple haze, Crosstown Traffic. Hendrix is by far one of my favorite guitarists, and Im trying to imulate him the best I can.
Thank you for your time,
-Preacher-

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Have you tried playing lefty through a Sun stack off a Strat with yer teeth??? :wink:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The line 6 support board had a thread called "share ytour settings", which is where I found this:
Purple Haze
channel-crunch
drive-9
bass-4
mid-10.5
treble-6
chan. vol.-7.5
FX-a little bit below halfway on reverb

Here's another

Amp model: Crunch 'red'
Gain: 9
Bass: 9
Mid: 8
Treble: 7
Channel volume: 9
Master Volume: your choice
Reverb: 3
No other efx activated.

I don't know how good those will sound. (I use a V-amp myself)
There are lots of user-posted setting suggestions at that site. They are probably good starting points for you to tweak to exactly what you want.

Good luck, and have fun.

*edit*
I also found this buried in the support section of the Line 6 web site. Hope that helps.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Have you tried playing lefty through a Sun stack off a Strat with yer teeth??? :wink:

Cat
I tried that, even set the guitar on fire. But no cigar on that. :lol:

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The line 6 support board had a thread called "share ytour settings", which is where I found this:
Purple Haze
channel-crunch
drive-9
bass-4
mid-10.5
treble-6
chan. vol.-7.5
FX-a little bit below halfway on reverb

Here's another

Amp model: Crunch 'red'
Gain: 9
Bass: 9
Mid: 8
Treble: 7
Channel volume: 9
Master Volume: your choice
Reverb: 3
No other efx activated.

I don't know how good those will sound. (I use a V-amp myself)
There are lots of user-posted setting suggestions at that site. They are probably good starting points for you to tweak to exactly what you want.

Good luck, and have fun.

*edit*
I also found this buried in the support section of the Line 6 web site. Hope that helps.

Thank you very much. I really didnt look through the Line 6 website when i regestered the amp.
-Preacher

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Maybe I missed it in the answers, but it is also important to use your neck pickup on your Strat, Jimi would use all pickup positions at times, but his signature sound is using the neck pickup.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats interesting Wes and makes a lot of sense. I read how Jimi had cabinets with horns in them at times and would use the Fuzz Face distortion, sometimes 2 chained together and I thought "Holy Treble Batman!" but with the neck pickup that makes sense. I am a humbucker kind of guy and tend to rely on the bridge pickup. I do tend to favor dark sounding amps as well. I'll have to give that a try with one of my very few single coil guitars. I'll try the neck and boost the treble a little and see how it sounds.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Maybe I missed it in the answers, but it is also important to use your neck pickup on your Strat, Jimi would use all pickup positions at times, but his signature sound is using the neck pickup.
Thank you kindly Wes. That really helps.
-Preacher

ReplyQuote