Skip to content
Differnce between E...

Notifications
Clear all

Differnce between Epi Special II and SG G-310?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@snaphook)
Topic starter  

I am an absolute beginner and have been doing a little research on some decent starter guitars. I have narrowed it down (I think) to the Dean EVO XM or a Epi LP Special II.

I think either would work for what I want to use it for.... learning and hopefully after that playing some hard metal riffs.

I did stumble across a used SG G-310 and was considered that as well. Besides having 2 tone and 2 volume controls what else can you tell me about the G-310 vs the special II?

Any input it great or even if you have another recomendation for my 1st guitar.

Thanks
Justin

(@strat)

The les pauls are great guitars that have the packed in sounds for great stage performance.

Jake

Live to Play Play to live.

ReplyQuote
(@snaphook)
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply. anyone else?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I think the biggest difference would be the price. I believe all the guitars you mentioned have 2 humbuckings each. That alone will give you your metal sound. Yea, there will be a difference in the tone because of the different pups but, to what extent.....I don't know.

Don't get me wrong though, I have an Epiphone Spirit (duel humbuckings) and I can get a mean blues sound on my clean channel. But throw that puppy in overdrive.....and I can get real heavy.

Sorry for not being a big help.

ReplyQuote
(@snaphook)
Topic starter  

Thanks tracker! I know they will probably sound different and on the more expensive model it will have better quality (or maybe just different) components.

So anyway, that's kinda what I was looking for. I think I'm ready to stop researching and start buying!

ReplyQuote
(@snaphook)
Topic starter  

well i went with the Epi LP Special II. I think it will work just fine for me getting started.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back with some actual guitar playing questions.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

well i went with the Epi LP Special II. I think it will work just fine for me getting started.

Enjoy, I had one for awhile and it played pretty well after some minor adjustments. The person I sold it to is thrilled with it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

IMNSHO the specials are the best Epi's to pick up. A lot of kids are looking for the Les Paul, and come short in the money, so they buy Epi's that almost max them out, but aren't what they really want.

The better way to go I think is to get a Special while you save. Minimal investment, decent turnaround, and very high quality for their price point. I direct anyone looking for a first guitar at a Special instead of the LP ripoffs.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@snaphook)
Topic starter  

"The better way to go I think is to get a Special while you save."

sounds like good advice. I think I'll be pleased, I can learn and have a decent instrument at the same time.

This forum seems to have good info and nice people on it, thanks again.

ReplyQuote