Notifications
Clear all

RHCP question, Parallel Universe???

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bluesjunkie)
Topic starter  

I am a novice guitar player, so be kind. On the Californication CD, what guitar & gear makes all that beautiful noise at the end of the song "Parallel Universe"? Is it all just varying forms of feedback? Thanks, Michael

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

that is the genius known as John Frusciante that makes all the beautiful guitar noises in all Red Hot Chili Pepper songs.

ReplyQuote
(@bluesjunkie)
Topic starter  

I know that it's Frusciante. What guitar is he playing, what effects etc., make that beautiful sound? Is it his Gretsch Falcon? M.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Definitely some feedback going on there, maybe some mad wah-ing, maybe a cranked up phaser in there(?) I don't know, it's a strange part, hard to say exactly. Doesn't help any that it's buried under a pile of extremely busy bass.

If you can find a full transcription in the book for that album, I'll bet they'll have all the effects used listed. There is a book for each album, and the one I have (for By The Way) is ridiculously detailed in it's dissection of what's on the album. Probably the best way to get close to what he was doing aside from actually talking to him or the engineer.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 pea
(@pea)

hey

I have the Californication tab book, and it says he uses a phase shifter... aand unfortunately, I don't know much else about the other stuff... :P

ReplyQuote