Clear all

Dirty strings

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I got my Art and Luterie Wild Cherry the other dya with some Godin strings on it. I love it and all, but the strings are dirty. Whenever I'm done playing, there's this greying gunk left all over the tips of my fingers, and no matter how hard I scrub, I can't get it off. I've had the guitar for about three days now, and it still leaves more grey on my fingers every time I play it. I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to be a reoccuring thing, or if the strings just have some dirt on them.

Any thoughts?

(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

Buy yourself a new set of strings. Get a brand like Martin in the same gauge as you currently have on - the shop should be able to tell you what they are.

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Buy yourself a new set of strings. Get a brand like Martin in the same gauge as you currently have on - the shop should be able to tell you what they are.
Hmm, think I really should? I'm actually broke on money, and the strings on this guitar can't be very old, as they just got the guitar in about three days before I bought it. They're pretty nice strings, too.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When you play, you're getting tiny (microscopic tiny) bits of string in your fingertips, as well as bits of any dirt on the strings. It's normal. Depending on the string composition, your fingertips might seem gray, green, or white.

As your callouses get harder and smoother, they pick up less from the strings, so it's eventually less noticeable.

It'll help if you keep your strings as clean as you can - wipe off each string with a cloth after you practice.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

And also bear in mind that although the guitar may be "new" its HIGHLY unlilely that they have put brand new strings on it, its probably been sat in the shop with the same strings on for some time.

Good advice from Noteboat as usual.

If it really bothers you and cash is tight, get some fast fret cleaner - rub this up and down the strings once you have finished playing and they'll last a lot longer as you'll get any sweat and acid off them

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I agree that alot of guitars you buy in the store have been sitting a long time with the same strings on them, When I got my Gibson Les Paul from a store took it home and broke 2 strings right away, replaced all strings has been fine since.

:D

ReplyQuote