Clear all

Epiphones

33 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How are Epiphones quality? I was browsing Music123.com, and was reading a review and the buyer commented that Epiphone is to Gibson
what Squier is to Fender. I thought they were much better quality than that. Just curious, as I'm trying to decide between an Epiphone Les Paul custom, and an Ibanez S series.

(@full-fathom-five)
Eminent Member

I'd say epiphone's were considerably better in relation to Gibsons than Squire's are to Fenders if you see what I mean.

Anyway it depends how you define "better". I'm sure Gibsons are higher quality in terms of craftmanship etc, but in the UK at least a Gibson ES-335 (for example) will cost you about £1500. (That's about $2900).

The equivalent Epiphone would cost £350-400.

I'm sure the Gibson is better, is it over three times better?

Is it the price of a small used car better?

Opinions please...

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

At the end of the day, it's how you feel about the guitar. Whether it's made from Corn Flake packets or Stardust is irrelevant - if you think it's great, then it's great.
The only problem with some brands, is that they have a certain price tag attached to the name, rather than the quality of the item.

Squiers are getting better all the time.

So are Epis, although owners still seem to moan about the quality of some of the parts, particularly the pickup switch. However, furniture can be replaced and putting some new pickups (e.g. Gibson Burstbuckers), new tuners, etc. will give you a guitar that is probably not going to sound any different to a Gibbo, but is still less than half the price.

There are other brands on the market, that don't carry a surcharge for the name, but give you the same, or even better, quality than Epi. I hear that Agile (from Rondo Music) are every bit as good as Epi and I'm sure that there are plenty of others on GN that will offer other alternatives.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey all,

Yeah what "lederhoden" said... "At the end of the day, it's how you feel about the guitar."

I was told to buy something you'll WANT TO PLAY. Something appealing to ME. Forget what my guitar idol plays. Cuz this is gonna be MY Guitar. Then put the guitar somewhere you'll see it when you come home at the end of the day and it just screams at you to be played. So I did.

I'm assuming your like me, a beginner eh? I got an LTD F-100 (made by ESP) for a lil less than $300. Had it set up and the Frets evened and shaped a lil bit and the action adjusted and now its even easier to play. That cost me a hundred bucks in addition.

I also surfed musicians friend and saw that Oscar Schmidt OE30 hollow bod for $150. WOW. I figured OK. well its only $150 if Its a piece of crap, I can return it within a month if I don't like it. So I got one of those too. I showed it to my Guitar Tech and he couldn't believe how inexpensive it was. I had the same setup done for another $100 and holy cow. He almost didn't wanna give it back to me.

And now my point. After playing, taking lessons, practicing and what not on these two guitars at least an hour everday for a few weeks. I decided to go to Guitar Center and I was gonna grab me one of them $1000 + Guitars and see what all the hoopla is about 'em. Well I just don't see it or feel it or whatever. Yeah I can feel the balance, feel that they're very nice, well built instruments, but big BUT..... the cost to 'my' performace ratio just doesn't fit. Not yet at least. I've had a few people play both my guitars and shred just as good on mine as they do on their NAME BRANDs.

So far and its just my opinion its about what name is on your headstock. I mean you can find a nicely built quality guitar that NOT a big name brand.

Its also the same with Acoustics. I can't see paying $1300 for a Martin when a $300 Samick or Art & Luthrie or whatever sounds just as good or better to me.

So, like its been said before a thousand times, Play a LOT of guitars. See 'em, touch 'em , feel 'em, hold 'em, play 'em then make a choice. Let your hand and ears do your talking not your eyes, well not so much.

Just my .02 cents :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Gibsons and Epis are so close you almost have to compair individual guitars. I own an Epi and I realy can't tell much of a difference in "feel" or "tone".

With that said the Gibsons are finished better. There is more attention paid to the bindings. Some of the masking on my Epi was a little slopy where they painted the edges of the fretboard rather than binding it. But you have to be holding the guitar to see it. The tiger maple soundboard wasn't split and booked so the grain isn't perfect. The Polyurithane finish on the Epi is a LOT tougher than the nitrocelluose on the Gibson.

If your looking for perfection buy a Gibson. If your looking for a guitar that plays good and will stand up to a little rough handling buy the Epi.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Anyway it depends how you define "better". I'm sure Gibsons are higher quality in terms of craftmanship etc, but in the UK at least a Gibson ES-335 (for example) will cost you about £1500. (That's about $2900).

The equivalent Epiphone would cost £350-400.

I'm sure the Gibson is better, is it over three times better?

Is it the price of a small used car better?

An interesting commentary on this phenomenon is that people who have owned neither tend to say that the Epis are just as good as their Gibson counterparts, while people who own Gibsons can instantly feel and the difference.

I consider myself one of the converted: I was going to be set with an Epi, but during the course of reading some stuff over at http://www.lespaulforum.com I was convinced that I should take the step up to Gibson. Now I definitely feel like my guitar sounds about 100x better than any Epiphone I touch, and I definitely feel like it was worth the extra cost.

Quickly becoming my new motto: "You'll never regret buying something too good."
I'm trying to decide between an Epiphone Les Paul custom, and an Ibanez S series.

Forget apples and oranges, this is like apples and... socket wrenches. These guitars are so different in tone, features, appearance... I recommend against putting these side by side, they're different animals. Decide what you want in a guitar, THEN choose. If you go to the shop without goals, you have a much greater chance of doing the dreaded impulse buy, which never leaves you happy.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

rsadler,

We can all tell you what brand name we prefere to own and or play, but the choice is still yours to make. Visit your local guitar shop and try'em all. Look past the maker while playing, close your eyes and just listen to the tones. Buy the brand that sounds and looks good to you, not what we have. If your shy, bring a friend. If your a newbie, have the sales folks play them for you.

Good Luck
Jim

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I went to the guitar shop several times lately and played both (what little I could play that is.) I played a few chords, a couple of scales that I've learned already, and did a warmup exercise that covers all six strings, then had the sales guy play them for me. I decided on the Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I was reluctant at just having two humbuckers after having a Fender Squire with all single coils. Wow..what a great sound! The fretboard is so much nicer that the Squire to me. The Squire's strings seemed way too close to me, and the Epiphone seemed perfect for my fingers.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Congratulations on your purchase! :D

Humbuckers rule!

:!: :!: Pics please :!: :!:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

rsadler

Great choice, I also own an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Some day I may be able to afford the Gibson brand name, but for now, My Epiphone is as close to and makes such sweet music.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This isn't where I bough it from, and the picture doesn't do it justice, but it's a general idea anyway.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/LPSEPI-VS.htm

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

nice looking guitar - I love the sunburst

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

I'd buy another EPI tomorrow. The shop I buy from sells both and I've played them back to back on the same amp. Not the Les Pauls, but the arch tops. Maybe after I realy get back in the swing of playing I'd be able to tell a difference in tone or action but I can't tell much of a difference at this point other than in the cosmetics.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member

congratulations for the great guitar you've bought
I'm searching for a nice price.
How much did it cost you? (if it's not much to ask)
Maybe I could buy one over the internet now that dollars are cheap here on europe

Another question... what do the 4 roller on the bottom side?
Tone, Volume and...??

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It was reduced for Christmas..was 600.00 US

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3