Epiphones

33 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Congrats, I know you will love it.
Another question... what do the 4 roller on the bottom side?
Tone, Volume and...??
Front two are volume and tone for the neck pickup and the back two are volume and tone for the bridge pickup. (the top ones are the volume)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

ordered a cherry SG 400 yesterday.. :D
i think it will be here tomorrow. cant wait.
i tried one in the store, in some kind of wood finish.
the music store around here is not very well stacked :(

but, the guitar i played was really good for the price.
ten times better than my current cheap-o-caster.
hardtail, low action, nice fret&access.

i was wondering if standard SG400 comes with grovers too, or
it it only the (vintage/heritage) models that do.
Cause the tuners on the wood colored one was all chrome
and said grover in the back. Anyone?

Cause, if its not, a $50 upgrade is something i can live with.
the pick ups will have to wait until the next paycheck, and i
will probably try to get a hold of a good amp as well.
i think i have the gear-aquistion-syndrome now. damn.

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I can understand the gear syndrome, I bought the Squire started kit, and have already returned it and upgraded to my Epiphone and a ROland Cube 30. I'm much more satisfied now.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Another quick question..is it possible to reduce the length of sustain? It seems to go on forever, even on my clean channel.

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

Wow, Thats the first time I heard of anyone wanting to reduce sustain. You must be or will be in heaven. That the Les Paul for ya.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Maybe it's normal..I dunno..just on my old Squier it had none at all, so nothing to compare it to really

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

One way to do it is to raise the tail piece (not the bridge) a little. Don't raise it too high since the tension is what keeps the strings on the bridge.

If the tail piece is all the way down to the body (which is typical factory setup) then just raising up 1 turn (counter clockwise) may get the results you need. To raise it you do not have to loosen the strings but obviously you will need to retune. Intonation should be OK.

Personally I would let it ring till it's hearts content.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I love my Epi Les Paul to death. For now, can't see getting another Les Paul of any kind, nor would I be able to justify it. (I am not a big fan of their finishes - the only finishes i've really liked are the Tobacco Sunburst and the ridiculous kind of dark cherry sunburst on the Les Paul used by Billy Crudup in <i>Almost Famous</i>. On that note, can anybody tell me what years they had either of those finishes?).

But, if I were to upgrade to a Gibson, I only have one word, two letters, and possibly four syllables.

SG (Custom)

I have loved the SG ever since I first sat down with one. However, I dislike the natural finish, I think it's atrocious, and the typical cherry SG is pretty much everywhere. If I were to get one, it would either be ebony, ivory, or the SG Custom, because that thing is effing sweet.

I won't settle for anything less when it comes to that. No Epiphone SG's, no SG-alikes, no nothing. If I can get one with P-90's, I think I would personally wet myself in the middle of the store.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I had that same sort of experience moving from strat to gibson: I didn't know how to handle the sustain, and my playing sounded sloppy (even more so than usual!)

Eventually I got it under control, now it always feels like I have to really rake on a strat in order to get as much sound as I want from it.
But, if I were to upgrade to a Gibson, I only have one word, two letters, and possibly four syllables.

SG (Custom)

Crazy guitars, those SG customs. You should shoot for that SG Supreme. That's one cRaZy guitar. Only way to get truly flamed maple on an SG (there used to be an Epi with a photo finish, but I haven't seen one in a while).
i was wondering if standard SG400 comes with grovers too, or
it it only the (vintage/heritage) models that do.
Cause the tuners on the wood colored one was all chrome
and said grover in the back. Anyone?

Pretty sure they just come with the generic ones. I really like the upgrade to really nice Grovers, but a lot of folks indicate that they feel like the stock ones are fine, since SG's aren't known to have a lot of tuning issues anyways.
Front two are volume and tone for the neck pickup and the back two are volume and tone for the bridge pickup. (the top ones are the volume)

Um... the top 2 control the volume and tone of the neck pup, and the lower two control the bridge volume and tone.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Um... the top 2 control the volume and tone of the neck pup, and the lower two control the bridge volume and tone.
Oooops, your right. Don't know what I was typing :oops: .

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

I just bought my daughter a Epiphone SG-400 yesterday. It came with grovers. The shop I bought it from said that when he got his last shipment in they all had grovers. However, the order before that did not have them.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

makes me realise how much you guys benefit from living in the States.

Same thing here, left handed, list price is £615. Yup, POUNDS.

Hmmm makes me soooo angry

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member

I am sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "grover"?

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

grover is a company that makes tuning pegs ( machine heads or what you call them) and has a good repuation for makes good ones, and
they are a common upgrade to cheap guitars.
gotoh is another company that makes tuning pegs.

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@jarle)
Trusted Member

Aha, thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3