5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi to all,

I was searching the finger positions for the Dm7 chord and it seems that the index finger is used for the first fret (e and B strings) in a "mini-barre" style and the middle for the second fret in the G string. I have some problems with this position and I am using the index for the e string, the middle for the B string and the ring for the G string. The main inconvenience with the second way is when I have to change to a Dm chord, for example, I have to move more fingers.

Is it better that I try to play using the conventional position or both positions can be used?

Thanks in forward.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

What problem is it you're having with the first way? That's the fingering I use for that voicing, but if it fits the song you could also play a different voicing, like an Am7 shape barred at the fifth fret - x57565, x57768 or x57568.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The second way is easier to me. In the first one I have to "turn" the index finger (the nail keeps near to the tunning system) to get a good sound. The diagrams and snapshots in internet show the index finger "parallel" to the fretboard :(

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I'm not quite sure what your problem is, but I'll assume you want to avoid using a barre chord. Although you may still regard the second fret way as a barre chord, I cover all 3 strings with my index finger. This it's easy enough just to switch to an open string Dm.

EDIT:

Sorry. I thought you said D7. But yes, I'd barre the first frets with my index and the second fret with my middle finger.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much Clazon! I was playing as you said and it seems the sound is clearer and it easier switch to/from an open string Dm. The song that I'm learning includes the progression Dm-Dm7-Dm6-Asus4-A.

I must practice this chord. I think the basic problem is I must strengthen my finger (the last part, near to the nail, I'm very sorry, I don't know the exact word :().

Yesterday I also found another snapshot via Google Images in which the index and middle fingers are used for the barre (similar to a Fm chord) and the ring finger for the second fret but it doesn't solve the problem.

Anyway, thank you very much!

ReplyQuote