Do Amp Settings create buzz/hume/noise

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I purchased my first electric guitar/amp (Squier Strat/Behringer V-Tone GM108) after learning on acoustic.

Question: I notice that a bit of a hume/buzz is generated on certain settings on the amp (not sure which ones right now). Is this normal for a amp to do this based on certain settings or should nothing like that be occuring if the amp is functioning correctly.

I am a complete newbie on the electric front so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Scott

Lots of things can cause hum and other noises. The circuit you have the amp plugged into can cause noise, especially if there are air conditioners, refridgerators, flourescent lights, etc... on the same circuit. I have my amp at home in the living room and have found the TV will cause noise on my amp.

Your guitar could be the source as well. Single coil pickups tend to make noise.

Poor cables or connections can cause noise.

Turning the Gain up high on a guitar amp will cause hum and noise. Or even effects pedals. Many distortion pedals will have background noise. Unless this is excessive most people don't worry about it. You cannot usually hear it when you play.

There are noise suppressors or eliminators some people buy to take noise out of their system.

So to answer your question, some hum and noise is perfectly normal. But I don't know of anyone who likes it. Try a different outlet, different pickup selection, different gain, and tone settings. Try to find the source of the noise and eliminate it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

If the humming/buzzing is really severe, you could have a grounding problem, make sure that the third prong is present on the amp's plug, and you can test it in other locations to make sure your residence is properly wired for ground (i.e, does it buzz equally in another house).

Most likely, however, the amp is just not of great quality, and it's going to do some buzzing when you turn the gain up. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I have to ask, are you sure it isn't the guitar? Does the level of buzzing change when you touch the bridge or strings? Does the amp buzz with the settings up and no guitar plugged in?

Hope that helps.

You might put topics like this in the "Repair and Maintanence" area next time, just FYI, but it's not a biggie.

[Edit]

Hmm, I think mine and Wes' posts are compatible... darn simultaneous posting...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies.....at least I know it's not broken......

ReplyQuote