Clear all

do rah me etc

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@combs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am going through some scales and am starting on Cmajor (surprise surprise). My question is this:

C major is C D E F G A B C and has the traditional do rah me etc sound. All major scales are supposed to have this do rah me etc sound. When going to G major for instance, it has an F#. So the notes are G A B C D E F# G (hope I am right here, else I will look a complete pratt).

I may be a little dim, but apart from the root note, these scales have exactly the same notes apart from F#. So how can they both have the same do rah me etc sound, especially if they are being played from one extreme of the fret board to the other?

(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

The difference is where the scale starts. Starting the C major scale from C, and the G major scale from G, the intervals are the same.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

There is a proper name for the "do-re-mi" thingo. Can anybody remember what it's called?

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

There is a proper name for the "do-re-mi" thingo. Can anybody remember what it's called?

Solfege. As I understand it "do" is always C at least in the original system and that is what is apparently still used in Europe (maybe everywhere but North America). I took an ear training class (at adult ed) with a classically trained French violinist and opera singer who told me about that.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@combs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I looked up Solfege on one of the encylopedia sites and it has a good explanation of what it is. You are dead right Hyperborea, traditionally it always starts on the C. There is a flexible version which has a whole lot of other sounds as well. Sort of defeats the purpose for what I was expecting, anyway.

Just another piece in the jigsaw has been found. I now have part of a nose and a bit of sky with a cloud in it. A bit more to go yet me thinks :D

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

There is the fixed "doh" system in use in many countries of mainland Europe and some former colonies further afield. In this system Doh = C. So, for example, we have Beethoven's Symphony no.7 in A major also published as , SYMPHONY NO.7 EN LA MAJEUR (France) or A DUR (Germany)

In all (as far as I know) English speaking countries, the moveable "doh" system is used, where "doh" always equals the key note.

Even in the "fixed doh" system, there's no requirement to make "doh" = C if there's no pitch reference around to check it with. You just naturally slip into the moveable one and pretend that Doh = C. (A bit like using a capo but still thinking in terms of the nut).

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

There is the fixed "doh" system in use in many countries of mainland Europe and some former colonies further afield. In this system Doh = C. So, for example, we have Beethoven's Symphony no.7 in A major also published as , SYMPHONY NO.7 EN LA MAJEUR (France) or A DUR (Germany)
And "en la mayor" (Spain)! :D

The names come from the Latin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

To me it was just the lyrics used in The Sound Of Music .

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I would think that "DO" should always be the first note in the scale, and I suppose you could always raise your voice in half steps or full steps to accomodate the scale you're playing. Major scales go whole whole half as was mentioned in a prior post.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

In all (as far as I know) English speaking countries, the moveable "doh" system is used, where "doh" always equals the key note.

That's entirely possible. I grew up in Canada and the moveable "doh" was what they tried to teach us in grade school (some of us forgetting and needing to go to adult ed for a refresher). The instructor for my ear training class had only exposure to continental Europe (training in France and IIRC performing only in continental Europe) and the US.
Even in the "fixed doh" system, there's no requirement to make "doh" = C if there's no pitch reference around to check it with. You just naturally slip into the moveable one and pretend that Doh = C. (A bit like using a capo but still thinking in terms of the nut).

Yeah, I suppose that's another possible way to look at it. She also knew the scales in the "fixed doh" system starting on any of the sounds ("reh", "mi", etc.) and so it seemed to me that it was almost another scale system parallel to the C, D, E, etc. system.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Yeah, I suppose that's another possible way to look at it. She also knew the scales in the "fixed doh" system starting on any of the sounds ("reh", "mi", etc.) and so it seemed to me that it was almost another scale system parallel to the C, D, E, etc. system.

So I guess your teacher knew all the modes of Do Re Mi :D

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

So I guess your teacher knew all the modes of Do Re Mi :D

No, it wasn't like modes. It wasn't just picking another point on the "doh re mi fah si la ti doh" cycle and then going from there. It was no different than picking say F and building a scale off of it and when you had a sharp or a flat using it. There are sounds for each of the "doh", "re", "mi", etc. that represent sharps and flats so it was just like another scale. To go flat or sharp you change the vowel. I only remember a couple of them. For example, re sharp is ri and re flat is ra.

That wasn't the main point of the ear training class though it only came up in passing so I don't know this system well other than as a curiosity.

ReplyQuote
(@combs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It appears there are whole lot of other words as you say, such as Do Di Re Ri Mi Fa.

Do is C in C scale
Di does not exist in C scale, as it is C#
Re is D in C scale
Ri does not exist in C scale, as it is D#
Mi is E
Fa is F

and so on.

The error I was making is in starting the Do as the first note in playing a scale in first position all the way through. So I am always starting with low E and calling this Do. This is only valid in E scale. I tried playing G scale just with G to G and hey presto the F# does fit in with the Do Re Mi pattern. But if you did want to do the scale and slip in say a G#, if you use Di for it, it fits.

Isn't science wonderful.

All this discussion came from me trying to do some scales, and I have learnt far more than just a few notes. They are a far more powerful training tool than people give them credit for. I am now inspired to do a lot more with them.

ReplyQuote