does it make sense ...

Notifications
Clear all

does it make sense to try this?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I play acoustic about 95% of the time but I do have an Oscar Scmidt semi hollow OE-30 around.

My first guitar, I got it as a compromise between a jazz box and an electric when I first began 3 years ago. So will I be able to keep it as a compromise guitar if I changed the neck pickup to a single coil while keeping a humbucker in the bridge? Sort of a fat strat setup on a semi hollow.

I am shooting for a Niles Rodgers type of funk sound along with a Wes, Benson, Metheny jazz sound. Or as close as possible out of one guitar.

I do have access to a Squire strat owned by the kid down the street but it would be politically unwise to bring another guitar into the house. Anyway to change the pickups would be my first attempt at such a job. So go for it, or you're crazy give up the ideal?

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I would suggest a coil tap. I don't know that the stock pickup on your OE 30 can be split, but you could replace it with a humbucker that is wired to turn one coil off and on. This way you have your cake and eat it too. The pickups come with wiring instructions on how to do this. If you are not handy with a soldering iron though, you might want to have it done. The OE 30 will be trickey as there is no cavity cover. All the work has to be done on the guitar as is, fishing stuff in and out of little holes.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@holytwilight)

aaa

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

NEVER compromise - keep the music true to what you believe in. In other words, play what YOU want to play - you might get zero listeners/fans, but if you like what you're doing, who's to say the rest of the world doesn't march to a different drum? Stay true to your own musical vision/roots!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Coil taps on 'buckers have a tendency to sound a bit anemic. Plus you might wish to consider the Gibson L5 (Wes), Ibanez PM (Metheny) and Ibanez GB (Benson) all have humbucking pickups. Before replacing anything in the OE-30, I'd play around with it as it. Your money would probably better be spent on an equalizer pedal, which would help you get the tones you are seeking. Also realize a lot of the tone of those players is less the guitar and more the fingers of the player.

If you are just looking for a different tone for your guitar, I would suggest a P90 or its sister the P95, which is a P90 in a humbucking-style enclosure. This will get you anything from a fatter, but edgier sound to an older jazz tone with the tone control rolled off. The originals of Gibson models L5 and Les Paul came with P90 single coil pickups.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I was just thinking what would fit in the hole ... P95 is an exellent idea.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

The OE-30 is going to be a bit of a pain to do this to, as it has no access holes other than the pickup and pot holes themselves.

#4491....

ReplyQuote