Clear all

Don't know what to do...

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys...I was learning guitar for a while, but then I got in a accident...and I had to have surgery on my hand. I couldn't play for about 3 months, and now I don't even have a teacher anymore. The real problem is that the teacher I had before never taught me chords, only the..one with numbers and such. *Sigh* I don't know what to do now. I really want to play guitar, but I have no idea how to practice, or to learn. Can anyone help, please? Thanks..for absolutely ANYTHING you can give me.

-'kai'

(> ^_^)>8 I have your balls. They're mine now.

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I hope I'm not asking the obvious, but have you checked out the lessons on this site? I only started playing a few weeks ago and am finding the lessons on this site a great place to start.

You can find the lessons here.

Good luck. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have...but the question is..how do I get started? I mean..by..playing songs? Doing the same riffs over and over..etc.? Thanks though

-'kai'

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

get started? By lesarning something you didn't know before. So check out the 'Horse with no name' lesson on this site. Learn it all the way, including the 2nd part of the article. Then learn something new. There are plenty of beginner songs explained mby Mr. Hodge, and learning them will have you progress at an amazing tempo.

Don't worry too much about progressing, it is inevitable if you just play every day for a bit. Start here:
Absolute Beginner Part 1: Chords

Then continue here:
The Simplest Song
Adding Some Personal Touches

ReplyQuote
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I read through the Chords, and I know most of the stuff there...now I'm going on to the Horse with No name PART 1 =P Thanks a lot guys...anyone know at what stage I can just about read tabs and play them fluently? I really want to play the solo part in Muse - Hysteria. And also the solo in Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin. *wonders* Man I wanna play those...

-'kai'

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

This is going to sound strange, but do not put that kind of pressure on yourself. Step #1, have fun. Don't worry about how you are progressing or how long it will take to learn a particular song. Don't worry about how long it takes to read TAB like a pro.

Go ahead, pick a song. Learn some of it. Learn it all. Get bored or too frustrated? Take a break and go on to a different section or different song. Think you need to learn some scales? Go ahead, pick one to learn. This isn't a race.

Long story short, do what YOU want.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

go to guitar.about.com it is a very helpful site. that is how i learned. i've never had a teacher and have made wonderful progress, i can play just about any chord, barre chords. check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I also concur with Rejectedagain. I use the guitar.about.com site in conjunction with the lessons here. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Along with the above suggestions, consider finding a new teacher.
Perhaps the next one will be a better match for you.
Most importantly don't forget we are here. If you have troubles or are not sure about something just ask.
Good Luck

ReplyQuote
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone here. Thanks for everything! you guys are great haha =D.

-'kai'

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Get back with your teacher. Check out the on-line lessons. Whatever. Just play music!

NO EXCUSES

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote