Dropped D Tuning?

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys! :D

I sat with a guy in my local pub yesterday and he played his guitar in Dropped D tuning - he was all over the fretboard (though not making any chord shapes I recognized!) and the sound was awesome! I've never done anything like this, and would love to know how to do it. Does anybody know any 'easy' shapes I can play in this kind of tuning?? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Guys :D

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Try the 'Slide and Alternate tuning' forum ;)
Plus I believe there are some lessons here too

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Drop D can be used in alot of different ways, from Dead Man Walking by Pearl Jam to Lateralus by Tool. Check it out, its a good tuning.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

but don't get yourself to used to it because youl end up loosing your strength for power chords.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

but it does turn Power Chords into absolute no-brainers because you can play them with one finger.

There are lots of modified tunings you can use. They all affect chord shapes but they're well worth experimenting with.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

There's also a few things that you just couldn't do cleanly (or without a ridiculous amount of hard work) without using dropped D - The middle 8 of Lump (by the Presidents of the USA) is a good example.

I'm at work, so I can't whip the guitar out and tab it properly, but this is the gist of it, played nice and fast:

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-12-12-12-10-12-12-12-10-12-12-12---3-4-5---5-5/7---7-8-9---9---0-3-5-3-0-
A-12-12-12-10-12-12-12-10-12-12-12---3-4-5---5-5/7---7-8-9---9---0-3-5-3-0-
D-12-12-12-10-12-12-12-10-12-12-12---3-4-5---5-5/7---7-8-9---9---0-3-5-3-0-

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

The lesson that David Hodge posted back in January '05 on Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" prompted my first adventure in the world of Drop D tuning. Good stuff. 8)
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=488

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Most of the Drop D ive seen is used in metal, it works by, well, i can picture it but not describe it, it makes it so that a powerchord is played as a barre chord, it helps when you need quick funky chord changes, like one I do in a song is 00,12-13 00/2-3 and it takes a lot less work to do it in dropped tuning than with actual powerchords. Also, for some people its just lazyness, but the more I learn the more valuable I find it. Anyway, just another 2 cents... hehe

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

Try Doing a D chord with all the strings and then a Esus4 ( i tink thats how it goes). Also , try barely touch the first fret in a mute and do some extreme rythem...TO THE EXTREME!!!!

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote