Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Dry hands

22 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Living in SoCal means rarely having to worry about the weather. However yesterday we had major windstorms and when I got home I found my fingers too dried out to play.

So if I had to play the evening what is the best way to rehabilitate your hands and fingers quickly?

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, I dont know if quickly and rehabilitate go hand in hand but I am diabetic and my hands are ALWAYS dry. So I use Eucerin cream to get mosture back in them. You wont want to play for an hour or so with it on there but should soften them up some before you play..

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Well, I dont know if quickly and rehabilitate go hand in hand but I am diabetic and my hands are ALWAYS dry. So I use Eucerin cream to get mosture back in them. You wont want to play for an hour or so with it on there but should soften them up some before you play..

Jim

My hands get really dry and cracked in the winter(i live in ND!!!) and i use Eucerin as well. If you take a hot shower or soak your hands in warm water first, the cream will soak in better.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I live in the northern tundra also .... had to fight the urge to tease .... I mean SoCal ...... anyhow ..... I'm a nurse and wash the crap out of my hands. I hate the feel of moisturisers and lotions so I just deal. Oddly enough, they never seem to get that dry. :? Speaking of your wind storms ... I believe that is the reason our winter has been put on hold. Freakishly warm up here ... I'm talking 40 degrees and above in January! I heard it was not global warming but rather El Nino (or however the heck you spell it). Anyhow, good luck on moisturising those hands.

P.S. As a nurse I concur with the Eucerin cream.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

My hands get so dry that the edges of my callouses will catch on the strings sometimes. :?
I usually just use lotion but the smelly girly kind doesn't work very well. I must try this Eucerin cream.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I may be having a blonde moment here, but I can see advantages to having dry hands....harder callouses, less rust on strings....

I've worked too hard to grow callouses the last few years to soften them up.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Vic: Depends on how dry skin hits you. I used to get it a lot (seems to be getting better recently) and it's normally on the back of my knuckles. If it gets too much, the skin cracks and then it stings every time you bend your knuckle... doesn't tend to encourage guitar playing :wink:

Jhengsman: I use 'Vaseline Intensive Care' or something like that - I recognise the bottle anyway :) It's the only one I've found that didn't leave my hands greasy for the rest of the day. Just don't use it on the tips of your fretting-hand fingers or you'll know about it :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ah, see what you mean, Misanthrope...

I tend to be very careful with my hands these days....so I don't go near anything that'll soften my callouses....

and it's a great excuse for getting out of doing the washing up...."Sorry, I'd love to help, but I can't risk softening my callouses....got a new song to record...."

Which is why I usually end up with the tea-towel.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

One day you're going to use that excuse and she'll whip out a pair of marigolds... if only just to catch the look on your face :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

She's already tried that one - "sorry love, they'll make my hands sweat too much and soften my callouses...."

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Nice comeback! Be prepared for marigolds and talcum powder sometime in the near future :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Allergic to talc?

I am now, anyway....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

My hands get so dry that the edges of my callouses will catch on the strings sometimes. :?
I usually just use lotion but the smelly girly kind doesn't work very well. I must try this Eucerin cream.[/quote

Eucerin is awsome and scentless, you can get in a lot of places such as target and pharmacies.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Allergic to talc?

I am now, anyway....

Vic
Heh, yeah, try it and see whether or not you get 'that look' :)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I usually just use lotion but the smelly girly kind doesn't work very well. I must try this Eucerin cream.

I dont use cream on my fingers. Instead I use a file to get the burrs off.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2