Clear all

Easy to play?

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@hemsbacher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I've had my first lesson after many years of not playing and I'm starting to get back on track (slowly but surely!). I would love to be able to sit and have a practice tonight with myself, but not sure what I should start on. I want to play something easy but also something that I like myself and know well. These are some of my favourite bands: Amen, American Head Charge, Anthrax, Arch Enemy, Avenged Sevenfold, Bad Religion, Black Sabbath, Bleeding Through, Blink 182, Blood Simple, Breed 77, Chimaira, Coal Chamber, Coheed & Cambria, Damageplan, Deftones, Disturbed, Down, Dry Kill Logic, Evanesence, Fear Factory, Foo Fighters, Fony, God Forbid, Godsmack, Greenday, Guano Apes, Hatebreed, Hole, Ill Nino, Incubus, In Flames, In Me, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Lacuna Coil, Linkin Park, Lit, Machine Head, Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Mudvayne, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, One Minute Silence, Otep, Opeth, Pantera, Papa Roach, Pitchshifter, The Prodigy, Queen, Rage Against The Machine, Rammstein, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Saliva, Sepultura, Shadows Fall, Sick Of It All, Silverchair, Skunk Anansie, Skin, Slipknot, The Smashing Pumpkins, Skindred, Snot, Soil, Soilwork, Soufly, Spineshank, Stone Sour, System Of A Down, Tool, Trivium and probably a few more too!

Can anyone recommend a song by any of these artists that I could find the tabs for and play easily with a bit of practice and effort?

Cheers!

Yum yum yummy, I got metal in my tummy!

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Your request is a bit broad... nobody here is likely to know what songs YOU like and what YOU know well..

pick a few song from any of these bands that you know well (i.e can sing along with) and that sound fairly simple. (if they sound simple, they usually are) THen search google for "guitar tab" and the artist name or song name (there are still plenty of tabs online.......for now :roll: )

another thing to narrow it down...do you have an acoustic or electric ?

It helps to have the CD or MP3 handy when learning new songs so you've got something to compare your sound to..

Good Luck

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@hemsbacher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Whoa! Hello Mr. Friendly. Sorry, I am very new to all of this but please be gentle with me!

Well, any song by any of those artists and I'll probably know it. I was just wondering perhaps if anyone else knows a song by any of these artists that is fairly easy to play.

I've had a look online but I wanted to know what other people thought. Plus, a lot of the tab sites I've been on have got copywright infringments and aren't allowing tabs to be printed or downloaded for this moment and time, so it's proving more difficult that originally thought!

I have an electric.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Can anyone recommend a song by any of these artists that I could find the tabs for and play easily with a bit of practice and effort?

For easy to find tabs with classic riffs, I'd track down Iron Man and Paranoid from Sabbath. Essential stuff! Tackle the verses and don't worry about the solos.

Good site here: http://www.rdrop.com/~mjames/sabbath/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@hemsbacher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much slejhamer! Excellent site. I've printed a few off for this evening.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Hemsbacher -

I must say I am impressed by your list of favorite bands - not only is it quite long, but it is also alphabetized! :lol:

Slej is right - many of the old Black Sabbath songs will have the "heavy" sound you would enjoy and are also fairly easy to play. Might I also add AC/DC - you pick the song. Their rythym guitar parts are easy to play. A third band, with a similar sound is Wolfmother. All three should be easy to find at the tab sites.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Recently I've not bothered much with specific sites, if I need tab I'll just slap "tab bandname songname" into google and see what comes back... it usually manages quite well.

Nirvana's About a Girl is a good starting point - from not being able to tell which way up the guitar goes to being able to play the verse nicely takes no time at all. The chorus is a bit more tricky, but it's a good introduction :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Are any of the songs in the Easy Song Database (also on these forums) from the groups you named?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Sorry if i came across as a bit rude with you there... It wasn't my intention... (i'm not one to use emoticons very often... Maybe i should :D :D )

You're right though... a lot of Tab sites are being shut down, but if you use google to search for a specific song you can usually still find it.

What level are you at with your playing ??

Are you only strumming your axe or wanting to play some lead riffs/solo's aswell ?

Greenday and Blink 182 are supposed to have some fairly uncomplicated tunes (powerchords and such to work on your rhythm) although i don't really know either of their stuff... Maybe i should leave the suggestions to others..
I'm not really helping you, am i? ..... sorry.

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@hemsbacher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks ColoradoFenderBender! I'm a bit regimental when it comes to my music! Like to have it in order, but everything else is a mess! :wink:
The Black Sabbath songs are looking pretty easy to follow, but have also got that bit of hardcore that I'm after.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk, I've printed those off along with Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. Gotta love that intro!

Musenfreund, a few! I've printed off those that I liked the look of.

Jmin7b5! Sorry! Not a problem, totally understand. Why are the tab sites being shut down? Is this the bands that are trying to shut them because they're giving out free tabs or what?

I'm a beginner, I guess. Probably the best way to put it! I quit years ago and have suddenly started again but even back then I wasn't that good at all.

I think strumming is the best way for me to start at the moment. I'll get into some roff and solo's later on.

You were helping! I completely forgot that Blink 182 would actually be a pretty good starter. Thanks! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Tab sites are being shut down while copyright issues are being sorted out.

This page explains it in more detail.

Glad i could be of some help...

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@hemsbacher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that link. Crazy stuff, huh! The world has gone utterly bonkers.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Despite the problems, there are plenty of tabs available. You should download the Powertab editor it's free from here. Tab files, that Powertab reads can be found here

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

The world has gone utterly bonkers

The lowly amateur musician shall rise against the evil corporations ...eventually :P

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@hemsbacher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The world has gone utterly bonkers

The lowly amateur musician shall rise against the evil corporations ...eventually :P

We'll get there :wink:

greybeard, will check that out. I'm at work right now so can't download things onto work computers (boring sods) so will have a pop at it when I get home sweet home. Thanks!

ReplyQuote