Clear all

total beginner

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 GBE
(@gbe)
Topic starter  

Hi guys i have a question. Recently my wife asked me to name our wedding song and as you can imagine i got it wrong. Then when she put it on i forgot the words. strike two. so she told me that i better be able to sing it to her on our anniversary which by the way is in april. so i got to wondering if it would be possible to be able to play the song and sing it to her in as little as 7 months. mind you i have never played before and do not even own a guitar. i am just wondering if it would be feasible. the song is george strait cross my heart. if it is possible please let me know what i need to get started bearing in mind that this is for my wife and i only not looking to spend alot of money. THANKS.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

holy cripes don't let her see that post. "Not looking to spend a lot of money"=STRIKE THREE. YERRRRRR OUT!

You'll need a guitar to start. Do you have one in mind?

You can get a halfway decent used acoustic for $150. Washburn, Epiphone, etc...just get one with good action and a solid top.

Capo 1
Inst(arpeggios) : D D/A G-D/F#-Em7-A-D D(stop)

Bm A G A D
1. Our love is unconditional We knew it from the start
Bm A G A
I see it in your eyes You can feel it from my heart
Em7 D/F# G A
From here on after Let's stay the way we are right now
Em7 D/F#
And share all the love and laughter
C Asus2 A7
That a lifetime will allow

Chorus:
D D/A G A D
I cross my heart and promise to
D G A D
Give all I've got to give to make all your dreams come true
D G A G D/F#
In all the world You'll never find
G D/F# Em7 A D D/A G-D/F#-Em7-A-D D(stop)
A love as true as mine

Bm A G A D
2. You will always be the miracle That makes my life complete
Bm A G A
And as long as there's a breath in me I'll make yours just as sweet
Em7 D/F# G A
As we look into the future It's as far as we can see
Em7 D/F#
So let's make each tomorrow
C Asus2 A7
Be the best that it can be

Repeat Chorus

Bridge :
G D/F# Em7 A D
And if along the way we find a day It starts to storm
F Em7 Dm7 A
You've got the promise of my love to keep you warm

Inst : D D/A G-A-D
D G A D

D G A G D/F#
In all the world You'll never find
G D/F# Em7 A D D/A G D/F# Em7 A D -
A love as true as mine A love as true as mine

Ending : - D/A G-D/F#-Em7-A-D
--------------------------------------------------------------------
EADGBe
--------
D/A : x04230
Asus2 : x02230
D/F# : 2x0232

Here it here for free

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It's definitly possible. You have to work hard, but it shouldn't take you 7 months!

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/strait-george/i-cross-my-heart-2-1704.html

There are the chords/lyrics, seems like you need both ;)

Do you know any chords? The chords for that song are pretty basic, but you said you're a total beginner, so:

http://chordfind.com/

^That'll tell you what fret to play for each string, etc.

Practice playing along with the song on CD, and then when you've got that covered add in the singing. One of the more knowledgeable posters/writers here, I can't remember who, maybe Nick or David suggests learning to sing the lyrics as you learn the chords. That makes sense too, as it irons out the whole thing right from the begining.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

you should be able to play this within seven months but it may take a lot of work and practice. i don't know the soneg, if it's fast or slow or how complicated the strumming is. you can probably come up with some simplified version of it. definately work with a teacher on this.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN.

First thing first, get a guitar and learn those chords. Once you've got those chords down, practice switching from one to the other. Don't worry about speed at first. That'll come. So will the strumming. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Now, go tell her to ease up!!!! :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Is learning to play the guitar on the list of things you would like to do? If not then hire someone to play the guitar and you sing the song to her. After all she said you had to sing it, right? That doesn't mean you need to learn how to play it. Another thought, rent a karaoke machine and sing it to her. If you want to play the guitar then yeah, the song looks easy enough.

BTW my wife dedicated a song to me once. I'd never heard it and still can't remember it, she will get over it as will your wife.

ReplyQuote
 GBE
(@gbe)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice guys. My wife is not really pissed at me more like a minor disappointment. Those of you who are married no what i mean. However she really meant that i better know the words and remember what song it is. This sort of thing means alot to most women. not so much to guys. I just felt real bad dissapointing her. so i thought that i would suprise her with not only me knowing what song it is but also the words and yes maybe even play the guitar for her. But i can admit that prior to this i never really thought about learning the guitar. I guess i could do some of the things you guys suggested but that wouldnt have the same effect as me putting in the work to learn this. My thought right now is only to learn to play decent and only that song. not sure how far id take it after that.
IS THIS WORTH IT? should i bother? If so please guide me to some decent equip that is inexpensive, do i need some formal lessons or can i go it alone? what type of acoustic guitar should i buy? very confusing nylon vs. steel strings. would this be an attainable goal on the down low. for the suprise factor. i do have the ability to put in some time at work. how much time each day recommended? sorry for all the questions like the thread says TOTAL BEGINNER.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

GBE wrote: My thought right now is only to learn to play decent and only that song. not sure how far id take it after that.
It's sweet that you are willing to put in so much effort to please your wife, but unless a person has a genuine interest in learning to play guitar, it may not be realistic to think he/she would stick to putting in all this work, and on the sly, for one song.

What if you learned to sing the song to karaoke, then took her out to a nice anniversary dinner/date, and surprised her by performing it and dedicating it to her.

Or, like someone else suggested, hire a guitarist, practice it together a few weeks, and sing it to her (on one knee?) in a restaurant at anniversary time.

Either way, it will have a HUGE impact, doing it PUBLICLY.

Add fresh flowers and a thoughtful gift. Voila, you're a hero.

What anniversary is it? The first?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Personally I think it would be a tall order. As has been said, unless YOU really want it, not sure you'll do it. Plus you'll want to be practising all the time you get and if you don't want your wife knowing about it, it'll be tough.

Its not impossible though, so if you want it badly enough, go for it. Theres journalist called Will Hodgkinson who went from knowing no guitar to playing a gig in 6 months (read 'guitar man' - see amazon). Guitar wise, a steel string acoustic will be just the job. Print this thread out and ask the guy at the store to strum the chords mentioned above on any guitar you can afford and if it sounds good to you then thats a good start.

Lastly, a video clip of the song is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQHOM1d190M

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

This is simply a great reason to learn guitar.I have been craving to find someone special to sing songs to her... (alright and for some more)

GBE , you may also consider 'Groovy Kind of Love' by Phil Collins.Though i like the version by Cliff Richard and Petula Clark.You both can sing together and have a memorable anniversary.Another great song for the occasion can be 'Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You' by Glenn Medeiros.

GO for it.DON'T delay.FIND a guitar.FIND a teacher to teach you the tuning, basic chords, strumming and you would be on your way.

What a thread !

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Err, I posted at the same time as Nick I guess, haha.

I didn't know this was the only reason you wanted to pick up the guitar, I was under the impression that you were a beginner. I wouldn't recomend buying a guitar just to learn this one song. You asked if it was worth it, with all the work you'd be putting into it, it'd be worth it if you intended to keep playing afterwards (which is possible, you might get hooked) but as of now, you don't have that intention, so it might not be worth it. As someone else suggested, karaoke would be a good idea, or maybe say the lyrics as a poem.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it could be a rough go learning the song if youve never ever played guitar.
how about hiring a player then sing the lyrics..that'l do some melting.

I know very well what you mean about wives.
remember the little things!!!!!!!

learn to dance ballroom and sweep her off her feet if the guitar doesnt work. wives love dancin.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Its not impossible though, so if you want it badly enough, go for it. Theres journalist called Will Hodgkinson who went from knowing no guitar to playing a gig in 6 months (read 'guitar man' - see amazon).

Just to be a bit picky but he had a lot of lessons, just didn't mention them very much in the book as it doesn't sound as interesting that way ;)

ReplyQuote
 GBE
(@gbe)
Topic starter  

Thank you to all for your advise. I think i'm going for it. I realize it will be work but its worth it just the look on her face will make it all worth it.. are there any recommended books to help me along besides whats already been mentioned. how much do lessons generally cost? how often should i consider going to them? any dvds i should consider? any brands of guitars to stay away from? what do i need to look for in a guitar. how good are the pre assembled beginner packs? am i missing any questions? what do you experienced guys know now that you wish you knew then? thanks for allowing me to pick your brains. I'll likely head over to a guitar store sometime this week after work. I'll keep you all informed of my progress.

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

good luck

Tim

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2