Clear all

total beginner

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

GBE, I'm sure we could answer all of those questions rather easily, although they don't have ONE answer, we can give you the right idea, point you in the right direction. But to do this, we need to know what you're goal is.

Is it just to learn this one song? Or do you want to learn how to play the guitar. Do you plan on sticking with it? If so, what is your price range? Can you afford lessons (say around 30 bucks for 45 minutes, once a week)? How much time do you have for practicing? What kind of music do you like? What kind of music do you want to play? Any other questions?

Just kidding about that last one, and most of those aren't important right now, except the first. What are you looking to do? Play the guitar, or play that one song. Our answers depend on that.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

GBE, I'm sure we could answer all of those questions rather easily, although they don't have ONE answer, we can give you the right idea, point you in the right direction. But to do this, we need to know what you're goal is.

Is it just to learn this one song? Or do you want to learn how to play the guitar. Do you plan on sticking with it? If so, what is your price range? Can you afford lessons (say around 30 bucks for 45 minutes, once a week)? How much time do you have for practicing? What kind of music do you like? What kind of music do you want to play? Any other questions?

Just kidding about that last one, and most of those aren't important right now, except the first. What are you looking to do? Play the guitar, or play that one song. Our answers depend on that.
I agree.
If you just want to learn this one song then you should be able to do it on a few lessons with some prectice. I have read about guys who can learn simple songs in a few hours as long as that is all they are learning, whereas most people learning guitar are trying to learn many chordsrhythmsscales etc to get the basics sorted.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

GBE,

Maybe before you drop a pile of money on this, you should ask around. Dollars to doughnuts, someone you know has an unused guitar hanging around their house. Maybe if you find a guitar teacher to help you with this one-time endeavor, he/she will have an extra that they'd be willing to loan out, given the limited term of the project.

If, on the other hand, you think you have an interest that may extend beyond the anniversary project, or if money is no object in your world, then, by all means, go guitar shopping!

Or you might check Craigslist for a used guitar and have someone knowledgeable try out the particular guitar before you put your money down. There are some reputable folks here on GN who generally have an extra guitar or two they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price. (ahem, Nick)

Quite often, the advice heard around here is that you don't need an expensive guitar to get started, just one with decent action (strings not too high off the fretboard) and that will hold a tune.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2