Clear all

Electric Guitar Advice

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@dmbfan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I'm ready to go electric. I've been playing accoustic for a while and just picked up a Fender Princeton Choprus amp at a pretty decent price. I don't know what to get for a guitar though. I've been looking at the Fender Fat Strats with the HSS configuration. Mexican made to keep the price down. Still looks like it will run at amin 275.00 used but it seems pretty versatile any advice would be appreciated.

(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

A Fender Princeton Chorus amp begs for a Fender Stratocaster! That's a nice amp and you can really turn it up in a small club and get some great overdriven tube sounds out of it.

As far as whether or not you get a fat strat or not depends on what kind of music you plan on playing. I was looking into getting a better strat myself , like an American Deluxe and considered a newer HSS configuration with the new Cobalt pups... but given the cost, even with trading in my MIM Strat and my mint condition Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a flamed maple top, it was still going to cost me out of pocket money.

So I decided to make my MIM Strat a deluxe and just got my Noiseless pups and LSR Roller nut in the mail this week. As soon as my new bridge saddles show up it's to the work bench we go.

My suggestion is to find a Fender dealer in your area and go play some strats through a Fender amp. I did that last Saturday and decided it was definitely time to go noiseless, and that a one piece maple neck was to my liking... as long as it was the newer more modern C shape neck.

Lots of Strats on eBay if you want to take a chance on buying one you have not played. A good guitar tech can set it up right for you if you don't have the experience. A lot of mail order places send out their strats with no proper set up. It's amazing what a good setup will do for sound and playability. I just tweaked mine last Saturday night and that made a big difference.

Happy hunting!

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote