12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well today my grandfather bought me a present :P

A Ibanez ARC300DVS electric guitar! and a Peavey Rage 158 amp. :evil:

so now what I would like to know is what else I should buy for this guitar. I'm really into metal and older 70's rock music. I'd like to have sounds similar to those if possible...

(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was playing around with it for a while and got bored quick because when it comes to electric guitar I like stuff like metallica, nirvana, zeppelin, van halen....etc. And so far the sounds im making are FAR from those bands.

I know I need pedals and stuff, I'm just wondering exactly what I should look for...chords, etc.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You can get a decent distorted sound with the gain all the way up, bass @ 6-7, mids @ 3-4 and treb up @ 6-7.

Some heavier stuff might be in Drop D too.

How look have you been playing? Some of those "sounds" you are talking about are from very talented players and aren't always easy to play. It takes time to get right. That might be one reason why it doesn't sound right.

Pedals? I'd start with an EQ.

Chords? Power chords (root and the fifth) are used often in all of the bands you listed.

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

a friend of mine said I should be getting a distortion pedal? but you recoomend an EQ? what's that exactly?

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I really like the heavy crunchy sound of metal...my amp sounds like garbage when I turn the gain all the way up!

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

oh ya, my amp says pre and post instead of gain. Is that the same thing?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You don't need pedals and stuff in the beginning. Spend that money on lessons and instruction books instead, it will help you sound like them a lot more.

Btw, metal has nothing to do with loads of gain. It has to do with compressing, doubling and EQing it to sound bigger. Don't worry about that.

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

and you compress and double your sound with what?

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

If you're into Metal, I recommend Troy Stetina's Books: Metal Rhythm Guitar and Metal Lead Guitar:

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Rhythm-Guitar-Vol-1/dp/0793509580/
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Lead-Guitar-Book-Vol/dp/0793509602/

They're really good for learning how to play Metal.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You compress with a compressor. You can double a track in many ways, using a a/b/y box into multiple amps, use a rapid single stereo deylays over your signal, set up three different pitch-shifters (l/c/r -3%/0%/+3%) or work some mojo in a sequencer or audio editing program.

But really, there is no point in thinking too much about that yet. Maybe try those books above and worry about how you play each note. If you play well you'll sound atleast decent on even the crappiest setup but if you can't play no ammount of gear can save you. As you progress you'll automatically start to learn about sound, and how different approaches can archieve different results. But for now go crack some riffs. :D

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

alright, I'm satisfied with those replies. I'm going to go practice now. thanks a lot! :D

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

i dont think its necessay for you to get anything else, especially if youre new to guitar. but thats just my opinion

ReplyQuote