Notifications
Clear all

electric question.

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@imyourdaddy)
Topic starter  

a few years ago, I bought a piece of crap wannabe fender strat on ebay.now, i have been playing acoustic for a few years now, but I still know very little about electric guitars. my question is- if I bought fender pickups and put them in my fake strat, would it sound like a real strat? or would there be other things i'd have to do?

thanks for the help,
Kevin.

(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Your sound would improve if you put more expensive pick ups in, although it wouldn't be just like a proper Fender Strat.

Things like the wood used for the body, the quality of the electrics/wiring and the build quality of the bridge/neck all affect sound/playability.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I agree with Clazon - the sound would be improved, but probably would still not sound like a Strat. Besides, why do you want to spend money to upgrade a piece of crap, as you call it? Do you like everything else about the guitar? Does it feel really good when you play, are the frets well done, is the finsih good? (and on and on)

Like most people who have been playing a few years, there comes a point when you "abandon" the beginner level guitar and get something better. Save your money that you were going to spend on new pickups. You can get a really nice electric guitar nowadays for $300 - $400. As long as you are not a professional musician, these guitars will be a big upgrade, will sound good, play well & feel good. If you are looking for the Strat sound & feel, you can get a brand new MIM Strat, which are pretty good guitars, for around $350.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'll tell you what...I replaced the stock pups in my Squier Strat with THIS kit and it helped ALOT! I think also it depends on HOW it plays now. New Pups won't improve HOW it plays...only the sound. If it has a crappy body/neck to begin with then you'll need more than electronics! My Squier plays GREAT and is nice and smooth.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Changing pickups is overrated as a way of improving sound. They're one part of a long chain of things that the sound goes through, and not the most important part by a long shot. They're exactly analogous to the different mics a singer may use. But even less important, because guitar amps distort more than vocal PAs even when playing "clean," and we're often using a good bit of distortion from the amp and effects that blur the tonal effects of the pickups. Don't waste your money on putting expensive pickups in a cheap guitar. Spend it on things that help you learn to play better!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Ricochet, don't put expensive pickups on a cheap guitar. Just save and buy a real Strat. And I know this isn't right, but you will probably never be happy with a "pseudo" Strat. As much as I hate to admit it, for me a Strat has to say Fender on the headstock.

This doesn't mean less expensive guitars are bad. I own a Fender American Telecaster, cost me over $900. I also own a Squier Standard Telecaster, cost $200. Now the Squier does not sound like a true Tele with the Country twang. But it sounds great in it's own unique way. It actually gets a better "dirty" blues tone than the Fender. I bought one of the new Epiphone Valve Jr. heads about 2 months ago. This is a great sounding Blues amp. I have played both the Fender and the Squier through it, and I just love the way the Squier sounds. It gets a great overdrive, very similar to lots of ZZ Top type tones. The Fender pickups are too clean. Yeah, they sound great for Country twang, but when it comes to dirty Blues the Squier rules! 8)

But if you love the sound of a Strat, get the real thing. As was said before, you can get a great Mexican made Fender for less than $400. They sound great.

But... even the MIM Strats will sound a little different than the high-end Strats.

But every guitar sounds different. Even identical Strats will sound a little different from each other.

You just gotta go with a guitar that you love the tone, no matter who makes it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Absolutely, Wes & Ricochet - Wes you nailed it with your last line - does it sound like the music you hear in your head, and does it just feel right in your hands? Doesn't matter then if it costs $300 or $3000. But trying to improve a rubbish guitar is a recipe for heartbreak...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I put some of those pickups from Guitar Fetish in like Mike did. It's got a different sound than the stock ones did. More of a bite to it, I guess. I've replaced the ones in my Ibanez as well with some from the same place. Has more growl to it now. I'm in favor of it, but in neither case did I spend top dollar. In both cases, I knew what I was looking for and got it for not a lot of money.

Now, on another axe, my starter Yamaha with HSS, I'm not bothering with it. It plays like crud, so even if I slapped Seymour Duncans in it, I wouldn't pick it up.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@imyourdaddy)
Topic starter  

thanks for all the advice guys.
the general concensus appears to be that if it is a piece (it is) I should just buy a new guitar. The problem is that I'm 14 (cant get a job yet) and i dont have alot of money, so I figured if I could make my guitar sound better in less than 150 bucks, i should. its gonna be a while before I'll have 400 bucks for a squier or mexican made, and 1000+ for a real strat just isn't going to happen. No, I'm not in love with the strat sound, I'd just like my guitar to sound decent. Sounds like I'll be sticking to my trusty acoustic sonata for a while. and no, I will not be happy with this guitar even if it sounds better, but at least it wll be able to something. I'll consider those pickups on guitarfetish, but most likely I'll take tha majority vote and hold out. Thanks again, guys. I wish I had known about this site before I bought that junk.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

For $150 some nice NEW guitars you could get include:

Squier '51 GREAT guitar and VERY versitle! I have the Sunburst one!

Squier Affinity Special Strat (I have this one but I DID upgrade the electronics...plays VERY nice though! I have the sunburst on this one as well!)

SX STL50 I don't have experience with SX guitars but the reviews on tis one arent bad)

Agile AL-2000 This one is $200 but it is the SWEETEST guitar I have played! I have the Gold-Top version

Just so you know you do have some options in this price range if you choose you just can't wait to get a better electric...

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Here's a guitar that I have been thinking of buying. Its a Squier® Standard Strat Limited Edition. The description says that the body is ALDER, thats the wood that most Strats are made from. Nice looking guitar for $200. I would say save up 50 bucks more and buy this one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-Strat-Limited-Edition?sku=515225

I want the Vintage White. The Cherry burst looks better but they are out of those.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

You know what? - spend all your time and money on playing and practicing o nthe guitar you have. It'll probably have 6 strings and tuners. My unqualified guess is that you being 14, it is not the guitar that is the limit. Practice and practice, and when you really feel that the guitar puts restrictions on what you do - speed, or sound or whatever - you take your $150 and the additional $ you have put away and you go and buy yourself a nice high quality guitar. A $150-200 guitar will not make a big difference to your playing anyway - this is my feeling - I might be wrong

Keep on playing!!!
good luck
Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I agree with larsko.

Kevin, hold on to your cash until you play as many guitars as you can get your hands on... When you find "the one" it will be like a wake up slap in the face. Until then you are just providing a temporary band-aid solution by replacing parts on your current rig. (especially if you're unhappy with it to begin with)
Having said that, MAYBE an effects unit or pedal will satisfy your urge for a new sound (with the added benefit of being able to use it with a new guitar you will purchase in the future)

Concentrate on getting the sound you want with your fingers. This is where most of your tone will come from.

Until you are CERTAIN that it's your rig that is limiting your playing, getting an upgraded axe will only improve your sound marginally.
(NB: you will know when the time is right because you would have known the answer to your own post.)

Buying new gear can be great to keep you motivated to play but too many people use it as an excuse for poor technique, with players assuming they will sound like their guitar heroes if they play the same axe/amp/effects.

Kevin, most of this is not so much directed at you, but a general rant. I hope not to offend anyone.

Peace
J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I agree with Jmin7b5 & larsko to a point...you do want to get the guitar you REALLY want. However I remember when I started playing all I had was my Fender Acoustic. I liked acoustic music but I just wanted an electric for variety. MAN that was it for me! It was the electric that got me so motivated to play that I spent HOURS on it learning what it can do. The first time I was actually able to play something recognizable I was over-joyed! Now I bounce back and forth between acoustc and electric and even 12 string. But it was that one electric that sent me over the edge.

Before you buy ANY guitar make sure you try them out. Now with Agile guitars you can't unless you are in the New Jersy area but the Squiers can be found in almost any shop.

ReplyQuote