Clear all

Is it normal?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My guitar's bridge bends when i tighten my strings in red arrow's direction.

And recovers when i untight them.

The question is, is that normal, or can the bridge be damaged or something, cuz my friend said it didn't happen on his guitar when he tuned his strings tightly.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hmmmm, is there perhaps a hole at the bottom of the bridge where a missing tremolo bar might go?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Is that guitar, by any chance, a Fender Stratocaster (or a copy)? If so, their bridges do "float" up some when you tune to standard tuning. But, not as dramatic as your picture. The bridge is held down by screws on the side facing the neck. The rest of the bridge is held down by springs, which are accessed through the back of the guitar (should be a plastic cover over the center of the back of the guitar's body). This is how the tremolo works - the springs keep the bridge down and when you push the bar down the springs strecth and then return the bridge to the correct position when you let go of the bar.

It looks to me, like the springs are not adequately holding the bridge down. That could be because the springs may be old and worn out. You can replace the springs easily enough. They cost about $1.50 each and three usually does it. If not, add 4. If you have no experience with guitar repairs, take it to your local guitar technican.

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It's behringer, and there is some grey bar just below the bridge when it's bent over like that.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I agree with CFB. Get some new springs! I was fixing a friends stratocaster and she had the same problem.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Uh, i don't think I could, and the guitar is still in warranty.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You just need to tighten the springs underneath. It will not void the warranty. Just take the plastic plate off the back of the guitar. You will see the springs. They are usually attached to screws that go into the body on one end, the other end is attached to the bottom of the bridge.

You need to turn those screws in which will increase the tension on the bridge. This will pull the bridge back on the topside of the guitar.

Properly set, the bridge will float parallel or even === to the body of the guitar when the guitar is in tune. So, adjust the screws and then tune the guitar. It might take several attempts to get the tension just right.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

That's good advice Wes.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote