Skip to content
Embarrasingly basic...

Notifications
Clear all

Embarrasingly basic question about TABs/Chords..

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 T-72
(@t-72)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have just bought a guitar and have been reading books/sites on it and will be teaching myself for the most part. I am in no rush to learn so I will not be taking lessons - at least initially (out of interest is that a major mistake?). For the time being I like just experimenting/learning at my own pace.

I do, however, have a really basic question that I feel I am being rather stupid to miss. I started looking today for some basic riffs that I might be able to learn. I understand the TAB form, but I don't quite get which strings I am supposed to strum. Is it a case of strumming all of them unless it tells me otherwise with an x or should I just know already?

Thanks in advance

(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

Ok...

I'd say it would be test to take at least a month or two of lessons (1 - 2 times a week)...just to get the basic stuff about the chord names (all 6) and some beginning q's about holding a guitar etc.

If the song have seperated numbers on the six tab lines then you just pick that string. Kinda like a flick on that individual one.

If it has many on one line and they are all lined up then you have to strum it. Tell us the song and we will help you through it.

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/index.php

is a great guide to start...along with these forums and this site.

You will be up in no time.

I'd say do this.

1. Learn major chords.
2. Learn Open String Technique.
3. Memorize the Fret Board.
4. Play Songs..
5...Practice Practice Practice :)

Jet.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

t-72, don't need to take lessons in the begining...take lessons when you have an actual realistic goal in mind, and things get more difficult if you want... You don't need lessons for the beginner stuff :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

If you are reading tab from a book, then only play the strings that are written.

X's in tab format are used in a couple of different ways. If there was an X between two numbers, like:

-
-
X
-

Then you would mute that string (touch it lightly with a finger to prevent it from sounding).

If there is a row of X's across the tab, that is called 'raking', and you dampen all six strings when strumming to get a 'clanking' sound (on a distorted electric).

X's aren't normally used in tab to say 'don't play this string', unless it in between two strings that are to be played. As a rule, you just strum the strings that are written, leaving the strings marked with a ' - ' alone. If they are to be played open, it would be written with a 0 for that string.

Are you getting confused with chord diagrams/boxes? They will tell you which strings not to play, with an X.

If you downloaded the tab off the net, then all bets are off. The standard of tabs on the net is extremely erratic, and some are written by deranged psychos!

:?

ReplyQuote
 T-72
(@t-72)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Just for an example, this is from a book I bought, all the TAB says.

-
-
-

Except there aren't any '-' just blank space, then on the same line also these;

- - - -
- - - -
- - - -
9 9 - -
7 9 9 4
- 7 7 -

Again no '-' just blank space.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

In the first case, you jsut play the 997

in the second case, u just play the the frets u see written as well.

IF there is nothing written, don't play it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 T-72
(@t-72)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I see what I was misunderstanding now, thanks sorry for such a silly question.

On the lesson subject, I would consider them but in a week or so I am moving back to university where a couple of my housemates play to a decent standard, so I am hoping they can give me informal help which is hopefully enough.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

not silly at all bro, another things to get the feel down for a tab is to listen to the original while practicing. Its very easy to get music offline nowadays, no reason why you cant be listening to the composers take on things and comparing it to the (hopefully) accurate tab in front of you.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

no only strum the strings that have numbers on them which is the frets your to place your fingers, unless it has a zero (0) in it then it is strummed open.
B5 A5 G5 F#5 F5 Em5
E ----0--------0--------0-----|-----------|
B ------0--------0--------0---|-----------|
G -4--------2-----------------|-----------|
D -4--------2--------5--------|--4--3--2--|
A -2--------0--------5--------|--4--3--2--|
E -------------------3--------|--2--1--0--|

take for instance this tab, the 4-4-2 is a chord strummed all at the same time the 0 when you see them in step fassion or any number those are to be picked one at a time you start with the first one on the high e then the second on the B string then you go back to the high e, 1 stroke then the B,
If those zero's where in reverse you follow that pattern so say they was like this..

e-------0------
B----0---------

then you would hit the B string first then the high e,

the next measure you have power chords. and like what kido said you want to listen and practice the song and use the tab as a guild that way so you can figure out what the strumming pattern is etc.

so if you see a tab like this..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
----4-4-44--4-44-4444--4-4-44--4-44-4444--------------------------------------|
----2-2-22--2-22-2222--0-0-00--0-00-0000--------------------------------------|
----0-0-00--3-33-3333--2-2-22--5-55-5555--------------------------------------|
-----------------------3-3-33-------------------------------------------------|

this tab is pretty much providing you with the many times to strike the chords. not all tab will do this however. most will just show you what the chords are one time and it's up to you to figure out how many time you play that chord by listening to the song.

an x represents a mute of a string, it sorta gives you a clunk sound or if your using distortion it does basically the same thing. now when you see the letters PM or the word palm mute in tab your to lay your hand across the bridge of the strings while strumming.

now look at this tab...
riff1)
|-----------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------|
|---------------3-3-0----------------6-6-0------|
|-3-3-3-x-x-x-x-3-3-0--6-6-6-x-x-x-x-6-6-0------|
|-3-3-3-x-x-x-x-1-1-0--6-6-6-x-x-x-x-4-4-0------|
|-1-1-1-x-x-x-x-----0--4-4-4-x-x-x-x-----0------|

those x's on the strings are fretting hand mutting so you basically do not fret those strings, being these are power chords what you would do is after you do the 3-3-1 power chord you'd raise your fings up until you get that scratchy sound when you strum. takes a little practice, but you'll get it if you practice this technique, and all these things are what is use in rock/metal so if that is what your wanting to play you will want to learn these techniques.

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote