Clear all

epiphone les pauls

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so I've been looking for a new les paul off ebay. However I've never bought anything off ebay before, so I'm a little paranoid about the whole thing. What kind of has me confused is the pics of the headstocks. Some of them say les paul custom on the headstock...and some just say Epiphone at the top then gibson where there other ones say custom or standard or whatever...

(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

I bought mine off ebay a couple of weeks ago, this is the headstock.

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've seen ones exactly like that. But I've also seen ones that say les paul standard where yours says gibson. Then I've seen ones that dont even have the les paul writing on it...which ones are real!?!? so confusing.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

WideAwake: You've got your treble strings wrapped the wrong way around your tuning pegs - apart from the annoying effect of having to turn them the opposite way to other guitars, you're also bending the strings more sharply through the nut than you need to...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

There are some variations of different epi headstocks. http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=115
Maybe you could contact epiphone to see if they can telll if its a real model. Personally I stay away from evil-bay. Too many counterfet Korean and Chinese guitars floating around there. :(

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok so I just bought my new les paul standard. It's definately the real thing and I bought it in person. Now what I'm wondering is how to use the damn thing! There's a switch that says treble on one side and rhythm on the other. Then 4 other knobs. I've never used a guitar even close to this...so I would like to figure out what all these things do and what to put them to in different situations.

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

WideAwake: You've got your treble strings wrapped the wrong way around your tuning pegs - apart from the annoying effect of having to turn them the opposite way to other guitars, you're also bending the strings more sharply through the nut than you need to...

Thats how it was strung when I received it :P restrung it myself since then. Not that much of a noob lol :D

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

ok so I just bought my new les paul standard. It's definately the real thing and I bought it in person. Now what I'm wondering is how to use the darn thing! There's a switch that says treble on one side and rhythm on the other. Then 4 other knobs. I've never used a guitar even close to this...so I would like to figure out what all these things do and what to put them to in different situations.
The four knobs are a tone and a volume each for the two pickups, the switch is neck pickup at one end, both pickups in the middle and the bridge pickup at the other end. I could look up which each one was for you, but you'll get a feel for it better if you just experiment and work it out as you go :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Thats how it was strung when I received it :P restrung it myself since then. Not that much of a noob lol :D
Sorry :oops: Better to mention it on the off-chance than leave it unsaid though, eh? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

Yeah i suppose so :P

Btw the two knobs on the left when you look down at it are the volumns, and the two on the right are tone. :P

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok that helps a lot...so the bottom knobs are for the bridge pickup tone and volume...and the top knobs are for the neck?

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well I figured out that the bottom controls sound way better for heavy, distorted songs...that's a start. :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It has already been said, but since I've been playing a Les Paul for 28 years I'll add my 2 cents.

Treble is your bridge pickup. Rhythm is your neck pickup and in between is both.

Here's a pic of the TR Special with labels on the controls.

And yes, I too find the bridge pickup gives me the best heavy and distorted sounds. :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well that clears up everything for me, thanks guys!

TRGuitar, that thing is a beauty!! and here I was all excited about my epiphone les paul standard :P

what pickups do you have on that thing?

I just ordered some gibson 57' classics off ebay...can't wait to get them installed and my guitar setup at my local luthier!

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have another question.

The guitar I just bought apparently has been sitting around for a quite a while. So the strings are real old and the fretboard a little dirty. Would this effect how the guitar stays in tune? I ask this because I've had to retune it a few times already in the last few days. Maybe I need to replace the tuner "things" on the headstock?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2