Notifications
Clear all

epiphone les pauls

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Real old strings suck for many reasons including going out of tune. That is the first thing to fix up. Try and clean up the fretboard a bit as you change the strings, I don't think that will affect tuning but it will make it easier to play. If you find it is still going out of tune frequently then it could be the tuner "things". Once your new strings are played in, try tuning it up and then pulling on each string to see if they go out of tune easily or stay in...

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

okay, thanks jwishart.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I have an Epi LP Standard, and my teacher, who also has Gibson stuff, says that the stock tuners on Gibsons (including Epi's which is owned by Gibson) pretty much suck, and he suggested to me I have new ones put in if I was going to hang onto mine for a while. I haven't pulled that trigger- I find that it doesn't go out of tune too badly as long as I've got fairly fresh strings. What I aim to do is once I break down and buy a second electric then I'll put the Epi in the shop and get some upgrades.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

well that clears up everything for me, thanks guys!

TRGuitar, that thing is a beauty!! and here I was all excited about my epiphone les paul standard :P

what pickups do you have on that thing?

I just ordered some gibson 57' classics off ebay...can't wait to get them installed and my guitar setup at my local luthier!

Thanks coreyb! Except for the decal it is stock. Those pickups are Gibson humbuckers. 490R and 498T. I know all about the tuner thing with Gibsons, but both my Les Pauls have the stock green key tuners as well as my Epiphone SG. I have no desire to change them. I do have a few guitars that have Grover tuning machines. They are nice, but they came on the guitars and that is why I have them. I retune before playing every day, regardless. As long as they hold a tune for a set, I'm good. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2