Everybody hurts

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My fingers hurt!

Staring off with G, C and D chords. Still have to really take time over finger placement and by time i've stopped any buzzing sounds or muting sounds from sloppy finger positioning, me fingertips are burning!

Anyway, i'm trying to play "Everybody hurts" by REM. Found the tab http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/rem/everybody_hurts_ver3_tab.htm but am having some difficulty.

The first 2 bars are and arpeggio of D, but after that i'm not sure how to paly the second few bars of intro - how do i position my fingers? (This is probably a really stupid question, but this is only my 2nd day of playing!)

THanks.
Mart.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow, what you're trying to do sure is a lot for someone who has been playing for just two days! The pain will go away soon, your fingers just need to build up callouses.

First of all: the tab is wrong. The G chord should be [3 2 0 0 3 3] and not [3 2 0 0 2 2](which would be a G7Madd11+). How I'd do it:

Play the D chord using your index finger on the first string, ring finger on the 2nd and middle finger on the third string. Then use the ring finger as anchor point towards the G chord:

-Middle remains on third fret 2nd string. Pinky goes to third fret 1st string. Index finger goes to 2nd fret 5th string, and middle finger goes to 3d fret 6th string.

I'd play the Em chord using the middle finger on the 5th and ring finger on the 4th string. (both 2nd fret, as the tab says). The A chord can best done here by moving the ring and middle finger both one string up to the 3d and 4th string, and add the pinky to the 2nd fret 2nd string.

Take it VERY slow, and if you have further questions just ask. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Are you asking about the G ?

From playing the the D chord with a real smooth motion, move the middle finger over to play the G note on the low E string, and mute the open A string. I would leave my ring finger stationary at the third fret B string and place my pinky on the third fret High E string.

E|---|---|--P|---|
B|---|---|--R|---|
G|---|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|---|
A|---|---|--X|---|
E|---|---|--M|---|

P = Pinky
R = Ring
X = Mute
M = middle

Is that what you asked about?

joe

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Pretty ambitious for a newbie - I LIKE IT!

Good luck with it. It's a pretty easy pattern once you catch on to it. and don't worry about calluses - they come with time. (I was hurtin' the first month I played guitar - if it doesn't stop after a couple of weeks, consider taking your guitar in to the local shop and getting them to put Light strings on it, instead of whatever's on there. That should help you out tons, I know it did for me!)

And welcome to the best damn guitar site out there. :D

-Brian

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your help.

I was only talking about the intro bars, i'm not anywhere near playing the whole thing yet! But it's nice to be able to play recognisable pieces to keep your motivation up when chords are being unkind to you!

I'd like to say i'm off to carry on playing, but i'm gonna wait for tomorrow when my fingers will be able to tolerate it more.

Thanks again.
Mart.

ReplyQuote