Playing with other people..

39 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
13.2 K Views
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about 3-4 months now and I'm just starting to get to the point where I feel somewhat comfortable. I keep hearing people (and my instructor) say that its VERY important to play with other people. Both of my roommates play (one is pretty good, the other can strum some tunes but isn't all that great). I guess the question is, when you all play with other people, what do you play? I don't feel comfortable playing with the good guitar player because I think he'll either laugh at my skills or get bored right away with what we're doing. The other guy has some crazy strum patterns that I can't seem to get down on the songs that he plays.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Read the new article on the Home Page. "Playing with Others" is our theme for a while, and there are lots of older articles, as well as new ones in the works.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That's pretty weird. I usually check the front of the site daily but haven't done it in a couple of days. ..

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

You could try a guitar play-along CD to get good enough before playing with real people.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I have to disagre with patrick, lots of good players will jam with new players.thats kind of the point to this web site: older players helping the younger players and the other way around also :lol: :lol: You can always find others at your level too. You always learn something from jaming with others no matter what your skill level.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You could try a guitar play-along CD to get good enough before playing with real people.

Ooh, that can be tough, as you can't ask the CD to slow down or nod its head when the chorus is coming.

Have you ever heard someone say, "I won't play with him because he's a beginner." Unless we're talking about a paying gig, I've never heard that.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I first played with someone else after two weeks of practice. I could play three chords G,C & D, but not very well. The person I played with had been playing over 30 years and I'd say is pretty good. He never once told me I sucked (I'm pretty sure I did). I had a great time and learned several new chords. Now a year and a half later I play with others every chance I get. Some of the people are better than me (most of them), some are not so good. I've never heard someone tell a beginner they where bad. And I learn something new every time.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

If the better guitarist laughed at me I'd tell him to his face that he sucks coz he was right down there where I was before...and hes too immature to get that into his big head.
I seem to be bringing this up quite often. Everybody sucked at first. Its like older people looking at me funny coz I'm a trouble making teenager even though they were exactly the same age as me at some point of their lives.
If your roommate is any good he'd rather help you out than laugh at you and get bored just because he can't play his advanced stuff with you.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

No matter how advanced his stuff is it still sounds better with someone playing some simple rythm to back him up.
We are all humans so everyone looks at things in thier own way.
Maybe he won't welcome your playing but chances are he will.
In my experience I have never met an accomplished player that didn't want to play with a beginner. In fact in every case the accomplished players would welcome the time and even look forward to it.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I started playing with the guitar group at church about six months after started. I was very concerned about my skill level (or lack thereof) going in. My original intention was to just practice with them for a few months but not perform in the church until I had everything down. Much to my surprise- after two weeks sitting in they declared me "Ready for prime time" and I made my debut on Tanksgiving Day. Now I've made a lot of mistakes- I know, and we are playing in front of hundreds of people on Sundays. Ans when I talk to the leder about it he says it's OK. He remembered when he was learning too, and he can tell i am very intent on learning and that i work at it. And he is right about that.

Also, I have people who hear us on Sunday compliment me quite frequently- they can't tell I'm making mistakes even though I know that I am. I am learning that you never sound worse to anybody than you do to your own self.

So don't worry about it. Playing with others is not as bad as you think it will be. Now I'm looking forward to getting together with a friend of mine and doing stuff as a duo.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

as someone who has not yet been able to secure an instructor, and who is otherwise self taught (thank goodness for this website), i find it invaluable to hook up with others whenever possible

nuff said

:!:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I finally got started playing in a band this summer. The other two guitarists have been playing for twenty years and the band leader (one of the other guitarists) is an amazing musician who plays keyboards too. The bass player is also a veteran. I was very nervous at first but no longer. It's been a great experience and one helluva confidence builder (especially after our concert in front of about 300 people). Go for it. You'll learn a lot. And think of it as just that -- a great opportunity to learn.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've gone through all of the self doubt about playing with other people and at times I'm still alittle uneasy about it but for me there was only so much playing by myself that I could take.

Unless your totally into a solo gigging to me the whole point is to make music with other people and the sooner you atrat the easier it gets.

I still like to play along to CD's when I'm home alone but there's no other feeling like when you get a few people playing together. Most of the mistakes are not even noticable.

So your teacher is correct, go out and find somebody to play with once you do you'll want to do it all the time.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

What you all need to do is go play in a bell choir.

You are responsible for 2-4 notes, sometimes more. If you ring at the wrong time or the wrong bell it's a DISASTER. You very quickly learn the art of screwing up your face and looking at the person next to you when you ring incorrectly.

Once you can do that, playing with a bunch of guitarists is easy.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3