Clear all

Playing with other people..

39 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
13.2 K Views
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

After 1 year of playing and taking lessons I started jamming with another guitarist. Had no idea what to do at the first jam, what to play, etc.

My instructor had me doing scales and coming up with chord progressions to solo to all year. Now I had someone to solo with and vice versa. In 2 months I had the pentatonic blues scale licked up and down the neck and the major scale is making progress too. So from a practical standpoint it's been a huge leap forward jamming with other guitarists. You learn timing, staying in sync with other musicians. Plus it's a lot of FUN!

The next best thing to jamming with others is playing along with a CD. You can still do scales and solo over your favourite songs.

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Don't forget to email your stories to dhodge to be included in the articles that will be posted over the next few months.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

I've found that nothing pushes my skill forward more than playing with others. It's both frustrating and invigorating. Frustrating because you see how much you have to learn, invigorating because you can feel yourself improving on the spot.

I agree with playing with CDs. It really helps with the feel and the confidence. I just created an mp3 playlist on my computer of all the songs I can play along with (some better than others). There were 137 songs! I couldn't believe it, I thought there'd be 20-30, maybe. It really makes a difference. And when the chance to play with other people comes along, your confidence is that much greater.

btw, I'm the "Paul from Ohio" in one of David's playing with others stories.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

What I find with playing with CD's is that it's improvisation too. Without knowing the scale I can figure it out by feeling around on the fretboard until the scale becomes visible.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

One of the things I really like about my Crate is that is has CD inputs built in. It makes it very easy to play along with a CD. I've noticed that Crate seems to be making this a standard feature of its larger amps too now.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, this post was in the GN newsletter so I had to at least check it out. I can vividly remember when I had been playing just 4 months. I felt I could play some things but figured I really would not be able to play with others with my limited ability. Somewhere along the line, I got was invited to a jam out in Chicago. I drove all the way out there, tuned up twice, and didn't play at all! Yep, I was there among some pretty good musicians and it totally freaked me out. How could a "newbie" play with the veterans? They'll probably stone me after a few measures. And, this is with people who were really, really nice. Anyway, I was invited again a couple of months later and I actually played (albeit quitely). That experience changed my hobby. Since then, I'm getting more confortable when playing with others.

More off-topic, I'd add I play different with different people. When I play with the band I try to be as good as I can and concentrate as much as possible. Why? They're all much better than me. I'm the low guy on the totem pole. On the other hand, I play with another guitarist and bass player on Thursday and Saturday nights. When I'm with them, I'm (scary as it may be) the guy on the opt of the totem pole. I don't ever get apprehensive with them and try things I generally would not with others.

So, I guess I'm saying there are always going to players who are not quite to your level yet and others who are more advanced. It's part of life. Still, I'd make a guess 90% of "better" or "advanced" guitarist would be happy to help you out maybe an hour a week to help you get better. Why would they? I think it's an unwritten rule that players have (and even feel an obligation) to give back to others coming up the ranks. I give back when playing on Thursdays and Saturdays in that I taught both of them to play initially and we've all grown from there.

I know you feel self-conscious about your playing ability now but I'd say toss that out. Play with others who are better than you. Make mistakes. Get embarrassed. Rinse and repeat. Why? By putting yourself out there and getting your knees skinned you are accepting the painful mistakes but you are gaining incredible experience that will make you MUCH BETTER than the guy who doesn't. Besides, you'll get better much faster.

Just some thoughts... :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricrey99)

Your momma said you should always play well with others. It's true!

ReplyQuote
(@limeylefty)

...so next question is;
"what are good ways to find other people in your area to jam with?"
and
"what are bad ways to find other people in your area to jam with?"

Regards,

Keith :)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

...so next question is;
"what are good ways to find other people in your area to jam with?"
and
"what are bad ways to find other people in your area to jam with?"

There are many ways, but one of the best I've read is to carry your guitar with you everywhere. Bring it to work, and people will ask you if you play. Carry it on the bus, and they'll ask if you are off to a gig. You don't actually have to play it, but if you do, it's more effective.

I don't know if there are any "bad" ways to recruit people, some ways are more effective than others.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I find putting pictures of my guitars on my locker(or desk, ect.) at work gets the word out, since i work at a hospital with about a 1000 or so co-workers some are bound to play too. and the word gets out. :D :D I lived next door to a guy for a whole year befor i realized he was a guitar player also! Any time i meet someone new i just ask them if they play :lol: You just never know. :P --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

Limey has a good question. Can I say the best way to meet guitarists to jam is to meet them in person first, as opposed to total strangers. There's exceptions but it's much more enjoyable jamming with people you click, get along with and have more in common with personality wise.

I discovered there were acquantinces who played guitar only because I recently started. "Hey, you play guitar too?" That's the ideal way. I once posted an ad in a local paper. Had to do a lot of screening till I found people I clicked with. First 3 guitarists wanted to play country &western even though the ad said classic rock. One guy liked totin up while he played. He was out quick.

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member

whats totin up.

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

That would be something press. Clinton did as a youth, but he did not inhale :lol: :lol: :wink: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

something that Pres. Bush did also, and he did inhale.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've never heard the word tootin up used for the organic stuff that the Pres used, that was called tokin up...tootin up usually meant something that comes from certain countries predominantly in South America

But what do I know

Either way it doesn't have anything to do with making music

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3