Clear all

finger bending exercises

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hey all, i've recently been spending my time trying to nail down my morning jacket's song called one big holiday....and since working on it ive been pretty satisfied, its one of those songs thats kinda forcing me to strengthen parts of my playing that have been becoming weak....i had to do a couple pinky strengthening exercises and i worked at widening the stretch between my index and middle finger.......................anyway....ive noticed that my middle finger is weak in bending situations since i developed the tendency to use my ring middle and index for bends. does anyone know some exercises or ways to improve that type of bending??

thanks everyone

(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member

Hmm..

When I have trouble doing anything, I just turn that into an exercise. So in this case one way would be to just bend all over the fretboard with just your middle finger. Or alternate between all four fingers so you don't tire out as quickly.

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For the most part you should always be using two fingers (or more) for a bend. Using only one finger may be needed at times but you should be striving for using at least two.

You'll get inconsistent results with just one finger.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yea but theres always situations where u bend in on a string than fret that string higher when its bent. in which case i sorta use my pointer and middle finger to bend and than hit the higher string with my ring or pinky...thanks though guys i sorta just made my own little exercise out of it

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

? Bending a string and then fretting the same string while you bend..never came across that situation in any of the music I play but I would think you'd still bend with two fingers and use your pinky to pick the note.

I'm curious what song did you come across with that situation?

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i havent come across that situation either, but if i understand what your saying correctly, then could you not tap the the note with your picking hand? might not sound anywhere near the same, and would not work on an acoustic, but it is the only way i could possibly bend a string and then still play a note on the same string further up the neck.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member

i havent come across that situation either, but if i understand what your saying correctly, then could you not tap the the note with your picking hand? might not sound anywhere near the same, and would not work on an acoustic, but it is the only way i could possibly bend a string and then still play a note on the same string further up the neck.

Yea i was thinking that too. You can do some right hand tapping. But now that you mention it, that might be an interesting sound you could produce with this "new" technique. Damn, now I gotta try it and see what this darn thing sounds like :lol:

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Actually duh I have come across that situation in a song I play but like alman mentioned I have to tap the other note since it's like 8 frets down from the note I bend so I guess it's reasonable to assume there are situations where the note would be close enough to pick but I'm still thinking alman is correct you'd want to tap those notes it would be much easier.

ReplyQuote