Clear all

Fingerpicking

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rockspy3)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm just wondering if your suppose to use your nails when you fingerpick or do some classical guitar. When I fingerpick i just use the pads of my fingers. I dont know if that is the right way and if im getting the good quality sounds i should. Any suggestions?

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Different methods produce different qualities of sound.

You can brush the string with the top of your nail, brust the string with your finger tip, pluch the string with your nail, or pluck the string with your finger tip.

The different qualities of sound that each of those techniques generate are each usefull in their own right. There isn't a "right" or "wrong" here, there's what sounds good to you for the particular song you're playing.

You should become proficient in doing each so that you can generate the sound you want from your instrument.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

i do both, using nails and just the pads of my fingers, even using a pick you can still pick good. i think it depends on the type of music or even song you are playing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

playing with the pads is especially helpful when you break a nail and it is too short to use for awhile (like my middle finger is right now)
learn to play both ways. It will give you a better range of emotion you can convay with your guitar.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I will second missleman, I use both as I am learning classical now. Was using just pads now both nail and pads. Mostly, what ever sound you like.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@rockspy3)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well im really comfortable with just using my finger pads and when i try using my nails it feels kind of weird. Do you guys suggest in your opinion to use and practice with my nails too?

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

i would say that you should, it gives off a different sound, which could be useful.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Yes both. You get a different sound. Craig Chaquico does this, former lead for Jefferson Starship to name one. He uses pick, pads and nails when he plays. It does take a bit to get the hang of things, but it is worth the effort.

John M

ReplyQuote
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member

I'm just wondering if your suppose to use your nails when you fingerpick or do some classical guitar. When I fingerpick i just use the pads of my fingers. I dont know if that is the right way and if im getting the good quality sounds i should. Any suggestions?

Really basic question - nylon or steel? (Your question is a FAQ, I think every fingerstyle player goes through this.)

For the sound I was going for, I settled on no fingernails on the nylon string, in fact I even cut my nails a little short (ouch!) and kept nail clippers in my guitar case.

But on a steel string, I got the sound I was looking for with metal fingerpicks and a plastic thumb pick. Very different technique, a bit less control and a somewhat trickier but I really like the sharp attack. (Besides steel strings on bare fingertips give me blisters within minutes.)

ReplyQuote