Clear all

Fingers and Chords - Daunting....

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, so I have had my new acoustic guitar for a month and I have been putting in 30 minutes a day practicing and my fingers hurt like a SOB, but I perservere and take breaks then go back to it. I start lessons on Monday and my teacher may be able to help with this, but trying to hit certain chords, like A or one of the Ds I am starting to worry that my fingers are too big to fret some of these chords or not long enough to fret others.

Am I makiing a mountain out of a mole hill? Are there any excercises I can do during the day to get my fingers used to stretching like that? Is it possible that my fingers just aren't long enough to play the guitar?

Sorry about the stupid questions, but I am really new at this.

Thanks,
Mr_Clean

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Trust me when I say we've all been there. Just keep practicing and one day you'll surprise yourself.

You're fingers are plenty long enough. Best exercise for chord changing is to just keep doing it. A good thing to do is to practice moving from one to the next very slowly, concentrating on how your fingers leave the strings and where they go for the next one.

Hang in there and it will come. Welcome the the Best Guitar Forum on the net!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Your fingers will get used to it in time.
Fat fingers seem to get thinner after playing for a while (may not be true but seems that way)
I have never met anyone with fingers too short to play. At a local music store I mat a lady with smaller hands than my youngest daughter. I bet her fingers where not much more than 3" long but she shure could play.
Stretching excersize.
Plant your index finger on the 1st fret of the G string and leave it there.
Play every fret you can reach, on every string, with your middle finger, reach as far as you can, then repeat with you ring finger then your Pinky Do this every day for awhile and before long you will be reaching frets you never thought possible.
A and D chords are tuff for everyone, just keep practicing and it will happen, believe me.
Oh and Welcome to Guitar Noise :D

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try that excercise. I just wish my fingers didn't hut so bad! I have the desire to practice longer, and while I am not one with a low threshhold of pain, they really hurt. But I shall persist! I am into this and will ride the wave.

Thanks for the welcome.

Mr Clean

- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I just wish my fingers didn't hut so bad!
This too, shall pass. (even if it doesn't seem so right now)

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It's all true. It passes. :D

I was so convinced that my fingers were too big for my steel string accoustic that I then bought a nylon string classic guitar - just because it had a wide neck! :oops:

One day you'll suddenly realise that the fingers have stopped hurting, and have also mysteriously shrunk (as mine did). Plus they seem to have acquired what previously seemed impossible speed of movement, and range. :)

And then one day you'll start learning how to do bar chords. And, hell's bells, sure enough you've got an odd shaped index finger that can't do bar chords either! :shock: That will pass too.... :D Good luck.

Nice to see you here too. Welcome. It's great to see somebody who is a little behind me on the learning track - even if it's only temporarily!! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Sorry about the stupid questions, but I am really new at this.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, fortunately you came to this site, where I can guarantee you will never get a stupid answer. :D

Welcome to GN.

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

welcome to GN!
like it was said, we've all been there (some of us twice) :oops:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a simlar problem with fingers hurting, that being holding down the strings for chords can hurt, I sometimes end up with dents in my skin shaped like the strings. Though its happening less and less because my finger tips are becoming hard........and red.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If you go and do a search for all my posts (and probably several other member's posts) you will see I asked the EXACT same question 2 months ago when I started! Now it is all coming together. A little patience and you will be rewarded.

As for the A chord...I had a hard time fretting the X0213X fingering so now I just do a partial barre of the 2nd fret X0222X (the A6 chord I believe?) and I just don't pick the E (first) string. It's the same effect. It will probably come back to bite me some day but for now it works great.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

maybe the action's too high, though.

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys - I got the A down....teacher showed me an alternate fingering. A, C, G, D and E all down pat, majors and minors where applicable. F on the other hand is killing me.....first they don't collapse your fingers then they so oh yeah, collapse just your index finger. But I shall prevail.

Thanks for the support and the welcomes.

MrClean

- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

yeah I'm still there if i play for more than an hour at a time and i get the dents and all

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Yep, just keep at it, mine still hurt from time to time, but that's because I play 11's with a fairly high action on both the electrics and the acoustic.

But I also have a bad habit of practicing/playing 3-4 hours or longer almost daily too..... :shock:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The caluses have arrived so I can practice about two hours now before really feeling it. I try and do an hour to an hour and a half a night and two to four hours Saturday and Sunday. That's the goal anyway - sometimes I hit it, sometimes I don't.

- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote