Clear all

first guitar- beginner- set up

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tigercrane)
Topic starter  

Hello All

Been a guitarnoise junky since I bought my first acoustic guitar a week ago.
I 'm very new but very determined to play.
Been practicing chords and what not and have made some good progress already.

My question is :
I bought a Fender DG8s guitar pack and walked straight out the door with it. After reading up on this site I realized I have crazy action on it. Should I get it set-up/checked out? I don't even know if it needs it? I get a fair amount of muting and fret buzz but not sure if it would improve if I got the guitar checked out. It might just be me. ANy thoughts? I just don't want to walk into the guitar shop looking like a dork. I also don't want to waste my time trying to correct something with my technique when it's a guitar issue.

Also - Did I do the right thing with the guitar guitar pack?

Thanks

(@hawken)
Trusted Member

Hello. As far as your guitar's set up it might be a good idea to check it out at a guitar shop. They often come out of the factory with high action, however if you're getting a lot of buzzing noise this is usually associated with low action. Might just be that you've only been playing a week and need to continue to practice. You won't look like a dork if you go into a guitar shop (not a Guitar Center, go to a small shop that also does repairs) just go when you're picking up strings or something and ask them to take a quick look and see what they thing of the action.

I bought a Yamaha acoustic starter pack as my first guitar and really enjoyed it...and still do! I have a nicer Seagull now also, but still play my Yamaha a decent amount....and it's great to have for trips or to take to friend's houses to jam.

ReplyQuote
(@tigercrane)
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply hawken

I'm a pretty strong guy and have been pressing on the string pretty hard( well at least I think I am) I'll play a chord and it sounds like crap so I play each string to figure out which one is fowled up. I find that I need to press even harder on string cause they aren't down enough. And that's why I think it may be an action thing. I think the "buzz" is coming from having my fat fingers too far away from the fret line.

Accuse my poor guitar terminology

Anyways- just trying to clarify my issues

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Fretting the note too far away from the fret will certainly contribute to the buzzing. But also, in the beginning you have to press harder than you will in time. Right now, your fingertips are still too soft and pliable - they give too much when you press down on the strings. In time they will toughen up and you'll find that you don't have to press as hard to get clean notes. Nothing to speed this up other than practice.

That's not to say that you don't need a setup.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No matter how good your technique is, a proper set-up will never hurt. Might even be free if you go back to the store and explain you just bought it and would like a basic setup. Beginning is tough, don't make it harder then it already is for yourself. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

Indeed, being a pretty strong guy can't hurt, but the muscles that are required in your fretting (usually left) hand are pretty much unique to playing guitar. In the coming 2 or so months expect your left hand/forearm (assuming you're a righty) to become much more strong, and your fingertips to become callused. I would wake up some mornings with a numb left arm from playing so much the day before. It's a temporary thing.

Practice is everything....I really enjoy the tapes at http://www.homespuntapes.com to help guide me. I've been playing for about 3 years and have done lessons with a teacher, tips from friends, internet, etc....I find these tapes/DVDs to be the best value. And if you don't understand something you can always go back and review it again and again until you got it.

As PapaJ pointed out, try to get your fingers close to (not on top of) the fret to get a clear tone. Arjen makes a good point as well...maybe you could get a free setup.

ReplyQuote
(@tigercrane)
Topic starter  

thanks for all your input guys

How about honest opinions about my guitar. Fender DG8s pack.
I'm going over to the guitar store to check out other guitars today now that I know a bit more and see how they play. I'm willing to pay more but can't go to much higher in price range at the moment. Am I caught up in the gear or am I being a smart first time buyer?

PS- I hate spending money- so I want the most bang for the buck.

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

I think it is a perfectly good guitar. As long as it is set up well you should have no worries. My advice would be not to worry about upgrading until you've been playing for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Tiger

Funny, Joni Mitchell don't look tooo strong to me....

Its not about strength at all. You shouldn't feel like you are having to really press hard at all - its about finger placement.

Try this. Fret the low E string at the 5th fret as hard as you normally would. Get that finger right up close to the wire.

Now take off HALF the pressure.

I'll bet ya it still rings just as clear.

If you are having to press like mad, and your fingers ARE in the right place, your guitar definitely needs a look over as the action must be too high.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@tigercrane)
Topic starter  

hey Matt

I've decided to take it ot the shop and have it checked out.
I don 't want to give the impression that I'm muscling the strings. It just seems like a lot of work to keep the strings down. And it's more a dead sound that I'm getting than anything else. Is that an action problem?
I did go to another store adn checked out some nice guitars. Even though I still sound like crap my "fretting ??" was easier.

Now it's time to weigh the pros and cons of trying to get my guitar set up right or switch to a guitar that feels better.
I'm not knocking my guitar. I'm actually growing more fond of it everyday but I don't want to invest in new strings, a set up, a hard case and all that for a guitar that nets out to cost less than the upgrades.

Ughh. The things is I have no need for a better guitar today. I suck. But 6 months, a year?
All I need is another passion that bleeds me dry.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Tiger

This passion will not bleed you dry at all. It needn't cost much for a setup.

Take it into a store, not a big one, a small little one that cares. Ask them their opinion, on the setup and the general suitability.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Tigercrane: I have four guitars right now, and one of them is a very old Yamaha classical guitar. The headstock has broken off a few times, the action is insanely high and the frets are quite worn out. Yet I love that thing, despite my other guitars being far better quality. Keep your guitar and get a setup. Maybe you'll get another guitar later, maybe not. But I promise you you'll be sorry one day when you sell this guitar now.

ReplyQuote