Restringing

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey.

I just bought new strings and I'm gonna restring my guitar right now.
It's a semiacoustic guitar, and what I wondered about was how do you loosen the white "balls" next to the hole? :?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

(@hawken)
Trusted Member

It's a good idea to have a pair of needle nose plyers to do this job.

Once you have detached the string from the peghead you should push about an inch of the string back into the body at the bridge pin (white ball) this makes the bridge pin easier to remove. Once you do that carefully grip the pin with your needlenose plyers an remove, it's usually pretty easy.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

They are called bridge pins.

There is a tool you might have picked up with your guitar, it fits on your tuning pegs for rapid winding and it can also be used to lift the pins. If you don't have one, once the string are loosened and cut, you can lift the pins out with a pair of pliers. You will probably mark them a little each time you do it though.

I keep a pair of small diagonal cutters and a pair of small pliers in my cut the strings and to snug up the string on the tuning peg prior to winding.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for the answers :)

Right now I'm having problems restringing the guitar.
The bridge pins seems to be too loose when I put a new string in - is there some way to tighten them...?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The bridge pins seems to be too loose when I put a new string in

I had this problem the first time too. So I took it back to the music shop and the guy showed me that if I put the end of the string just barely in, then I can use the bridge pin to push it on down. Not sure what the difference was but when he did it this way, the pin would stay in.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

If your guitar is old and the holes in the bridge for the pins are worn you can wrap a small amount of paper around the pins to make them fit tighter.

However keep in mind that they are held in place by the tension of the strings not by an overly tight fit. The pins should go in easily, but if they wobble around you can use the paper.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The bridge pins seems to be too loose when I put a new string in

I had this problem the first time too. So I took it back to the music shop and the guy showed me that if I put the end of the string just barely in, then I can use the bridge pin to push it on down. Not sure what the difference was but when he did it this way, the pin would stay in.

Jim

Okey, thanks.

But my strings has a circle - like a "wheel" - on the end om them.. So does the old ones.. What are these supposed to do?

I'm so sorry for my stupid questions... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Also put a bend in at the ball end of the string about a half or quarter inch from the end, this will reduce the pins pulling out while the strings are being tightened. The bend goes toward the neck.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

They keep the strings from pulling out of the holes.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

But my strings has a circle - like a "wheel" - on the end om them.. So does the old ones.. What is these supposed to do?

Naa not stupid.. Like I said I had to take it back to the shop to let them do it, and I was pretty good at changing my string on my old electric I use to have.

I am not sure what they are "supposed" to do, but you put that ball just down in the hole a little and then the pin will push that ball on down. Here is a link that might help.

http://www.cbguitars.com/restringing.htm

Hope that helps.. Dont give up :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Another good site with photos is:
Fret.com's steel string owner's manual.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is a MUCH better site. Had to bookmark that one. I esp liked the picture from inside that shows exactly what the bridge pins and the little balls on the end of the string are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

roflmao.. :lol:

I managaded to break the string...too bad.. I'll just play some on my electric then.. :roll:

But thanks for the links, they were great :)

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

No worries, I managed to break quite a few strings even with a tuner, and I know some on this site have even broken more than I have. Ask at the local shop if you can get singles of the one you broke. Keep trying, if I can do it, anyone can :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, it was quite a struggle, but the hard work payd off..

After the first string went to hell, the other 5 did actually go perfect. 8)

But I would like to thank everyone who contributed with both their expertise and helpful links :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2