Skip to content
a beginner's interm...

Notifications
Clear all

a beginner's intermediate hopes.................

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@smudge)
Topic starter  

Hi Dave

Really enjoyed reading your beginner articles. So well explained. You must get inundated with questions but here's mine:-

My musical theory only goes to the following.

I know how to make chords in major and minor scales, etc, etc.

My tunes are usually written in A minor using the notes available in the harmonic and melodic scales. I have incorporated the stuff you said about chord progressions sounding stronger when its not going from minor to minor. I have written loads of basic songs using chord progressions that are based around i-iv-v and ii-v-i. I mean I tend to stick to Am, D/Dm, E,Em and G with the odd C and F thrown in for interest.

With my extremely basic knowledge, what is the best article on Guitarnoise that will enable me to understand music on a deeper level and try and make my songs more complex. I know that the best songs are usually the simple ones but I want my tracks to sound "deeper".

Thank you in advance.

(@smudga)
Eminent Member

nice name

(¯`·._..-SMUDGA-.._.·´¯)
A few clowns short of a circus!!!

ReplyQuote
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member

Are you folks long lost cousins? (hahhaha)

On the home page of GN, look on the right side. One of the topics is songwriting. Also check the bottom of the list and click on FAQ's as there is quite a bit in there.

Also, click the lessons tab at the top of these pages. Under beginner section there is theory subject that should have a lot of good stuff.

I read and re-read all of these areas while eating lunch at work. As time goes on, I start to have some of it sink in due to the combination of learning more about sounds on the guitar as I practice and repetition of the material in the articles (it taks some sledgehammer repitition to get through my thick skull! :lol: ).

Jim

ReplyQuote