Skip to content
What would you reco...

Notifications
Clear all

What would you recommend for a high quality acoustic guitar?

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I currently have a laminated Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry acoustic guitar. I got it with the intent of it being a learner.

I'm decent at playing now, I want to buy a high quality solid top guitar after I get even better, probably 6 months to a year from now.
So in regards to what to purchase for my high quality guitar: Which companies are know for excellent quality control? Is there any reason to buy a Gibson/Fender/etc. as opposed to something else? Isn't 90% of the money spent on Gibson/Fender/etc going to the trademark name, as opposed to actual craftsmanship? Couldn't I get a guitar made just as well or better by another, lesser known, yet excellent company that doesn't charge 300 dollars for the the honor of displaying the trademark name?

Basically tell me what brands you are loyal to and why. Also state which guitar model you would recommend and its price. Please keep it somewhat reasonable, I'm not willing to drop over $1000.00 I'm thinking more in the $300.00 to $600.00 range. But if you absolutely love a guitar outside of that range please feel free to post it, but please post the price along with it.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

In accoustics, I'm a big fan of Takamine.

You can get several different models in the 500-700 range that are quite good.

Martin D-15
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500
Ibanez AW700
Takamine AN10S

Nothing to really recommend one of these over the others, they're all pretty good guitars.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

You can't go wrong with Fender - my girlfriend's son has a Fender semi with a laminate top - top class sound even played unplugged.

I have a Washburn, and you can get a good model for less than $500.

I've gigged with guys who use Takamine's - no strong opinion either way, but they sounded fine.

And Martin have a good reputation.

Best answer - go down your local shop with a packed lunch and a thermos, and try out as many as you can before they throw you out.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The price range you are quoting is actually 'mid-range', you can undoubtably get a high quality guitar at this price point if you shop around. Just be aware this is still considered mid-range. Find a decent sized guitar store and try a bunch at this price and over $1000 now. Then try them again in 6 months to a year. Pay attention to spruce or cedar tops, rosewood or ebony fretboads.

Various models in the Larrivee, Seagull, Taylor lines are all worth checking.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Not to hijack the thread :twisted: but does any one have experience with Ovations? Played an electric/acoustic model at Guitar Center that was about $900 and I really liked it. I think they discontinued the model so now am looking at the CS257 Acoustic/Electric model. I think they are around $500-$600 from what I have seen.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Pilot7,
Taylor is nice and I paid $600 for a Taylor 210 w/hardshell case last week. I like this one better than the Martin and others I tried.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Many consider your Art & Luthier to be a quality instrument, athough it's laminated they still have good reputation for quality.

If your really going to upgrade, I think you'll probably want to spend closer to the upper end of you budget, at 600 you may do better looking for a used guitar, check out the the UMGF unoffical Martin Guitar forum, or acousticguitarforum.com (mainly Taylors) you could find a nice high quality used guitar at either site. Yesterday I played a Fender Masterbulit Series Dred, and it had a GREAT Sound... new 649 at GC. All solid wood.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

In that range I'd look at some of the solid wood Washburns, used larivees and the outlet section of Music123 for New B-stock stuff and closeouts.

All solid wood Ibanez AJ200CEAV for $589 is on there now.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Not to hijack the thread :twisted: but does any one have experience with Ovations? Played an electric/acoustic model at Guitar Center that was about $900 and I really liked it. I think they discontinued the model so now am looking at the CS257 Acoustic/Electric model. I think they are around $500-$600 from what I have seen.

Jim

The only thing I don't like about Ovation is the the acoustic sound is weak even on their high end models. Amped they sound incredible.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What exactly makes the $1000.00 and up guitars cost so much? I'd think after you hit $700.00 or $800.00 quality would hit the ceiling of perfection with no further improvements to be made? What exactly do they do to the guitars that makes them cost over $1000.00? Are they truely worth it?

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

It's all about attention to detail and higher grade materials. At higher prices you can expect the quality control to be exceptional. And you'll also get higher grade wood, higher quality tuners, high quality nut and saddle material, and often fancier appointments (inlays, etc.).

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

They are only worth it if they are worth it to you. :D

Stupid answer yes?

I pay what I can for the guitar that speaks to me.

Sometimes that's $300, sometimes it's $3000.

For me, it isn't really about the price.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Um why hasn't anyone said Seagull? In the 300 to 600 range Seagull is the best for your buck, hands down. 8) (And yes, I am talking from about 144 total hours in guitar shops)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Good question yoyo,

I always say Seagull. What is wrong with me?

Hey Pilot....SEAGULL!

ReplyQuote