Clear all

Flamenco with distortion?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I know this topic has been explored briefly before but I've been learning a bit of flamenco and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of playing the style on an electric guitar with distortion.

Disclaimer: I do not believe anything is impossible, so if you say it's not possible, I won't believe you. Don't want to sound mean but don't want to waste people's time by typing out those kind of posts when I'm just going to not believe them.

Any suggestions of things to try/learn would be helpful. I tried asking on a flamenco forum but got the answers in the disclaimer.

(@alangreen)

This I've gotta hear. Are you going to use your fingers for the rasgueados or a pick?

Never tried it myself - I haven't studied flamenco guitar music to any depth.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

It may sound cool or it may sound muddy. Depends on how much distortion i suppose. You just have to do it and use your own judgement.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

It may sound cool or it may sound muddy. Depends on how much distortion i suppose. You just have to do it and use your own judgement.

I agree. I think the real trick is going to be finding the right amount of distortion to use so that it doesn't sound muddy. Should be quite interesting. Good luck.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think the problem is going to be in the loss of clarity between notes. Distortion melts (and sustains) one note into the next, which is what (IMNSHO) would spoil the Flamenco style, which is based on classical nylon-stringed guitar, where there is little or no sustain and, therefore, a clear distinction between one note and the next.
It's like strapping a jet engine to a mini - it can be done, I'm just not sure that I'd want to do it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I figured it would sound muddy too, far to muddy I would think. But you could certainly give it a try anyway, you'll never know otherwise.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote