Clear all

Flamingo chord progression

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I know its Flamenco, not Flamingo. Got your attention though.
Anyway, there is this standard Flamenco key of E phyrgian with notes E F G A B C D, and the usual progression is Am, GM, FM, EM. The problem comes with the Flamenco scale, a scale specifically used by the style, which has notes E F G# A B C D. THe G is # in the scale, but the G chord is used in the progression. I am very confused. Am I violating musical key rules or can this contradiction be overlooked? :?

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

As you caught my attention because of the bird dance I can't help you out :wink:

no, seriously: I have no idea about flamenco (it's too far away at the moment...)
but even if this Flamenco key is correct I don't think that it matters much as long as you don't regularly land on that note.
(In my imagination this would sound as if your guitar is detuned)
Maybe just use it as passing tone and it could create some interesting tension.

but what do I know...
:oops:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Am I missing something here, or doesn't the E chord have a G# in it?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes. If I play EM, which has G#, shouldn't I be not able to play GM, which has G natural? I don't really know music theory too well.

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

That conflict is part of Flamenco's distinctive sound. The "rules" are just guidelines for what might sound good. It happens that the Am, G, F, E progression sounds good when you couple it with E Phrygian.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

When you're playing E Phrygian, of course, you're playing in the key of C Major. C Major shares the same notes as A minor; and G# is the leading note in the key of A minor, so you can use major chords of G and (the dominant) E quite happily.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote