Clear all

Following chord sheets off the 'net

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What is up with the indentations and strange lining up on most chord sheets for songs on the internet?

For example...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/gordon_lightfoot/sundown_crd.htm

On the 2nd line, are the B7, D, A in the right place, or are they out of line?
E
I can see her lyin' back in her satin dress
B7 E
In a room where ya do what ya don't confess

A
Sundown ya better take care
D E
If I find you bin creepin' 'round my back stairs

Or is it supposed to be something like
E
I can see her lyin' back in her satin dress
B7---------------------E
In a room where ya do what ya don't confess
A
Sundown ya better take care
D----------------------E
If I find you bin creepin' 'round my back stairs

and the text editors just don't line up?

I had to put the dashes or it wouldn't display the way I wanted it to.

Did any of that make sense!? :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I see that all the time. I think it is intentional. it is to allow the natural spacing of a chord change. the right note is sounding
while your position the fingers. the lyrics are sung as the chord is formed. you play it the way you wrote it. the words just come out smoothly before. easy to play. stupid to describe.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Another thing that's more important to think about is that chord changes are about timing. A singer can wrap words around timing - coming in earlier or later than on the original recording (even the original artists do this live) and still sounding great if the musicians are all keeping proper time.

"Chord sheets" such as this are always at the mercy of whoever types them, the fonts being used, lousy "copy and paste" skills, etc. You're far better off thinking about the music and the number of beats in the chord progressions instead of relying on a visual cue from the words with chords written over them.

That's not to say, don't use them. They are incredibly useful. Just don't look to them for every nuance of a chord change.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

One thing to keep in mind is some tab sites don't use fixed width fonts, why they don't I have no idea, but they don't. Anyway, it's usually a good idea to copy and paste into Notepad or Word and change the font to a fixed width font (I use Consolas, but unless you use Vista or are a developer you probably don't have that. Courier New or Lucida Console work well also).

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, I understand. I guess like tabs, if you don't know the song, you really can't play it properly. These are not proper sheet music with standard notation. I have to admit that even at this stage of my playing, I can (usually) tell when the chord changes. What I hear and feel didn't mesh with what I was seeing in some of these sheets. Now I got it.

Thanks guys. :)

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote