Clear all

Forearm hurts

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kryogenik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been trying to learn the solo to Stairway to Heaven for a couple days kind of intensely. I can play it pretty well up until the insane, rapid fire bending pull-off part (just go to Stairway to Heaven Solo on Youtube, go halfway into the video or so, and you'll know what I'm talking about). But anyway, the muscles in my left forearm (if thats the word for it) hurt when I play guitar, mostly when I play notes with my pinky and ring finger. I stopped playing once I felt it this morning. Is this serious, or will it just go away in a day or two? Is it normal for this to happen? I don't want to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or something XD Thanks for any advice.

(@liontable)
Estimable Member

I'm a beginner too, but there might be some issues I had myself which are the cause.

Do you warm up? I've noticed this can happen when playing pretty intensive parts when just picking up the guitar, it hasn't stayed for long but it might be worth looking at, if you don't. Your brain knows which movements you have to make, but your muscles aren't ready for it yet so they are under a lot of strain (easy explanation, not qualified for the good one).

Stretching a bit too far, if it's applicable? I pretty much destroyed my left fore-arm for a week when I tried to do "Every breath you take" with some stretches which weren't exactly advisable at that point in time. Could be the same issue, not the stretch but tensing up too hard trying to do something your mind has labeled as difficult.

I think it's probably just putting too much strain due to playing very tensely, and if it's that it'll go away soon (just play a bit less, or things where you don't strain yourself). Either way, if this stays for more than a week I'd visit a doctor or something. rather safe than sorry.

(Nice job by the way, it's one I'll take a look at when my "Sultans of swing" is completely done! :D )

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Excuse me, but sometimes it's like the old joke:
"Patient>>> Doc, it hurts my head when I hit it with this hammer.<<<<
Doctor>>>>"Stop hittin' with the hammer....that'll be $50 dollars ."<<<<

You are using small muscles, you are not accustomed to using. Don't go at it with such intensity & give it a break.
If something hurts.....don't do it......not rocket science, supposed to be fun, guitarplaying.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

There is also the possibility that you're not holding the guitar well or sitting or standing with it correctly. And that's kind of hard for anyone here to know without seeing you play. Are you sitting straight? How high up is the neck of your guitar? New players the tendency to keep the guitar too low and that will definitely give some problems. Likewise, if you're sitting and the wrist of your fretting hand is lying on your leg, you're also going to have problems. Good posture and position is very important and can make all the difference when it comes to the pain you're experiencing.

Bear in mind that few of us on these forums are doctors (although we do have a few!), so if it's that bad, you should check with a doctor first.

Hope this helps and hope you figure out how to fix this.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@kryogenik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My guitar neck is about parallel to the floor when I play (the headstock is a little higher than the base of the neck, if that makes sense), is that too low? The pain isn't really that bad, but I'll probably take it easy.Thanks for the advice, guys.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What you might also be doing is turning the neck upwrad, so that you can see the frets. This causes you to twist your wrist more than is necessary.

Another tendency is to not have the guitar parallel to your chest, but to hold it like a hunting rifle with the neck at 45° to your body.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote