Notifications
Clear all

Fretboard Fears

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmy58)
Topic starter  

I had found a product called Fret2Fret which makes some far out claims about an 8 year old memorizing the locations of notes on the fretboard in 45 minutes or something like that. I did a little research and found many posts that give Fret2Fret a thumbs down. Do you know of any free instructionals for the fretboard?

:roll:

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

The best method I found that works like a charm is to play all the natural notes on a single string starting at the 1st fret going up. As you play them, sing each note's name and match the pitch of the note with your voice. This will get your ear + you head going on memorizing the notes.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

The best method I found that works like a charm is to play all the natural notes on a single string starting at the 1st fret going up. As you play them, sing each note's name and match the pitch of the note with your voice. This will get your ear + you head going on memorizing the notes.

Check the lessons on the main site, Nick did something just like that with greater detail.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There's a very good programme called "Fretboard Warrior" ( http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboardwarrior/fretboardwarrior.html ). Best of all, it's free

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Use Fretboard Warrior (see above) and this link:
http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html

Have it generate an interval, find out where you can play it on your guitar, guess the interval and move to the next. Do this everyday for 10 minutes and I can almost guarantee your hearing and fretboard knowlegde increases 10x within two weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

As you play them, sing each note's name and match the pitch of the note with your voice.

If I tried matching the sounds I'd be arrested for noise pollution once I got above the 5th string

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

As you play them, sing each note's name and match the pitch of the note with your voice.

If I tried matching the sounds I'd be arrested for noise pollution once I got above the 5th string

A :-)

I'm with ya there Alan, I can't carry a tune in a wheel barrel

ReplyQuote